What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9 x 19mm Parabellum

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if my brass washed steel cased 9mm H/S ( ak St + 9 45 ) was manufactured in 1945 for Germany or was actually loaded post war by the Czechs as this is the first brass washed 9mm x 19 case I've come across.
Thanks Geoff.

Geoff, this was loaded in Czechoslovakia by Munitionsfabrik Vlasim whilst Czechoslovakia was under German occupation. Did you by any chance pick this round up from John Munnery at the last Bisley meeting? John had packets of these and when I queried whether it was brass-washed he explained that it wasn't brass-washed, the colour was due to the anodising process but the case was not lacquered as normal as an end-of-war economy measure.
Jim

Evening Jim,
I bought this case from Q.F. auctions this week with a copper washed 9mm. The case is magnet and the finish matches perfectly a Czech manufactured MG 131 H/S ( 48 13mm 6 ) also brass washed steel.
Thanks for your quick reply Geoff.

Geoff, having looked again at my cartridge again I am not 100% convinced that John has got this right....my cartridge certainly does look to be brass-washed as you say. I didn't think that Germany ever brass-washed any of its ammunition but now I'm not so sure. I'll post a photo of my round over on the IAA forum and see what they have to say about it.
Jim

Attachments

• (Germany) 19.jpg
    (Germany) 19.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 26
Hi Jim,
In my collection I,ve got a 20mm MG 151 and several MG 131 brass washed cased German rounds, I have seen photos of brass washed 7.9mm but they are a scarce item. In the past I have seen 9mm H/S ( ak ST + 1 45 ) lacquered steel cased cartridges in a box with the label 9mm Pistolovy Naboj 08mE, either these were re-boxed or manufactured post war using surplus components? Hopefully IAA will have some answers.
Thanks Again Geoff.