What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

94th Aero-squadron restaurant

There used to be a restaurant by Lambert International Airport in St. Louis Mo, that the theme was that of the 94th aero-squadron of WW1. First when you pulled in the parking lot there was a broken down but painted WW1 ambulance. Well the first time I ate there the ambulance outside got my blood a pumping. Well next you walk in the door and immediately have to descend down a set of steps all lined with sandbags. In the main eating/drinking area there were WW1 souvenirs of about everything imaginable displayed all over including a partially wrecked spad plane suspended from the ceiling. What a rush. The windows you looked out of were right on a runway, so if you got a window seat you could watch the heavies take off and/or land. And if you got an aisle seat you were given a set of headphones to listen to tower operations. This was the coolest dining experience of my life. The food was overpriced but good, but i'll leave it at that because I am no food critic. My first wife and I ate there every year on our anniversary. They actually sold me a WW1 helmet (US brodie) that was nothing special, and at 40.00 was a little high but a souvenir from my favourite eatery just could not be passed up. Anyway they also had meny framed examples of WW1 German camo wing swaths, from the previous post and that's what got me to thinking. I have heard that there are also other 94th aero-squadron restaurants in other larger US cities, but can't confirm. Well I went to take my new wife (new Wife of 5 1/2 years) there to eat and the restaurant had permanently closed. I was set up like you were in a genuine WW1 squadron building where the "blooded" pitlot would go to eat, drink and be merry. I guess i've rambled on enough of this place, but is a part of my life never to be forgotton. I mean they has squadron group pictures, propellers and just everything aero WW1 related you could imagine, even stuff on the Layfayette Escidrille! In passing there is a great WW1 dogfight movie that came out a few years back called "Flyboys" that is accurate, excellent and worth the watch and the 6.00 you need to shell out for the DVD. There is just so much to tell, but I imagine some of you are already asleep, so for now ADIOS....Dano

94th Aero Restaurant

Dano:

There's a 94th Aero restaurant in San Diago, California,
but since I've never eaten there I can't tell you much
about it. FYI . . .

Ron Berkeley