What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

95 x 205mm Shell case ID needed please

AndyD

I have a shell case which measures 95mm x 205mm,dated on the base 1943,and marked 95mm I,which I presume to be MK 1.

No pics at the minute,camera playing up again!
Is there such a case,if so,what is it please?

Cheers,
Andy

Yes, close support for infantry...mostly Cromwells and Churchills.
There is a thread here showing some of the round Bovington hold. They're somewhat rare and correspondingly expensive. You case is probably worth 50 or so.
Rich

The projectiles are the proverbial 'Hens teeth', the cases do turn up, not common but not rare.
Used with the Centaur IV, Cromwell VI & VIII, Churchill V & VIII, Alecto I.

Thanks for the replies!

Managed to revive the camera for a few quick shots.
The case looks a little battered around the rim (ooerr missus!),but apart from that it seems ok.

Any more opinions welcomed!

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

• 95MM (1).jpg
    95MM (1).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 95MM (2).jpg
    95MM (2).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 95MM (3).jpg
    95MM (3).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 25
Andy, the primer you're looking for is a No.1
Q: I assume this would be the same primer for the 95x92mm INF & SP case in the other thread.

Cheers Richard.
I have quite a few No 1 primers,but they are all WW1 dates.

Cheers,
Andy

Andy,

Is your case a fired case?

The tank gun fired a fixed round and the cases have four crimps aboout 30mm long 15mm down from the rim.

If it is a fired case and does not have the crimps it could be a case for the 95mm infantry howitzer. The infantry howitzer used a separate loading, so fired cases do not have the crimps around the rim.

Hogg lists the separate loading case as being 8.1" long in British & American Artillery of WW2. 8.1" is 205mm. This is the same length as the Fixed Case I have.

Hogg lists the SP gun as using the separate round as well.

I will try to post some pictures this weekend of the 95mm HE fixed round I have.

Regards,

Will.

Hi Will,

It's difficult to tell as the top of the case has lots of marks,so presumably,the crimps could have been hammered out.

It depends what light you look at it in,sometimes what looks like the remains of a crimp can be seen.

Cheers,
Andy