What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

95mm RCL case ID request

charley777

Greetings to all...i have recently received (thanks Olafo!) this 95mm M/58 recoilless AT cartridge case and container.
This is from Finland but whether it is originally from there i do not know.
Case length is 595mm. Rim diameter is 110mm. There is an inner part made of heavy steel, also perforated as can be seen from a photo.
Can anyone provide information on
1) the gun(s) used
2) the ignition system (primer?)
3) projectiles used
4) any illustrations/drawings on weapons/ammunition
5) performance
6) manufacturer and country of origin. Countries that used this system.

95x595R  (3).jpg95x595R  (4).jpg95x595R  (5).jpg

95x595R  (1).jpg95x595R  (2).jpg

Last edited:
Just nudging this one.
Thanks Glevum for the gun designation. Does anyone, Finnish members perhaps, know more?
Was it a shoulder weapon? Or towed? Or part of an SPG?
Was it a Finnish design, or perhaps Swedish?
Are there any manuals with illustrations out there?

Hi Charley,

Nice to see an 'old friend' again, at the other side of the world! :p
Back when it was still over here, I had the label translated once (see my site http://www.ammunition.nl for pics and translation), the purple text reads something like "95mm big bazooka" or so. It was suggested to me that the 'case' is actually some form of adapter or part of the weapon itself, but when you look at the inside of the container, you see it is shaped as if it could accomodate a pointed round. Definitely a mysterious item... I never managed to find out much more about it...

Cheers,
Olafo

Charley, your case is not a normal case for this recoilless rifle. I think the base is modified to make a subcaliber cartridge. But I can't prove this so maybe I'm wrong. My normal case has a much smaller hole in the base for a screwed primer. You can find pictures for 95mm "Musti" and films on Youtube.

Thanks Western, that's very interesting. I checked out where Google took me with the "musti"....good stuff.
Well i think you may well be right about my "case" being a sub-calibre adapter. Makes sense because of the inner tube of rather heavy steel.
Now i will have to see if i can work out what went into the tube....will be making measurements when i get home.
Any chance of a photo of the base of your case?
Greetings....Charley

Here's your photo, hope you find more info. Ask Fjordhouse what he knows. He's the one who brought these cases to Holland.

95mm S 58.jpg