What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9cm German WW1 shell restoration

The picture on the left (the 9cm shell next to the 77mm shell) is how it came in the mail. Well yesterday I started tapping it with a body hammer and the big scaly pieces just started falling away. For the scales close to the driving bands i used a cold chisel and light hammer taps to get it to clean up where it is now. Next I plan to wire wheel the remaining rust on the projectile all around the body and close as I can get to the driving bands. Preliminarily it looks like it'll clean up nice. I then plan to paint it and sand off some of paint for the aged effect. Can someone tell me what the correct color(s) is/are? I'll not do anything with the 77mm as I like it as is, except I do want to add a fuze. I won't use any filler on the 9cm as I like some roughness to retain that partial relic effect. The fuze is beat to hell, which I also like to keep that relic feel. Any help on original color on the 9cm projectile would be most helpful and appreciated. It is so damn rare to get the bigger projectiles over here due to their gaudy weight. I really want to do this one up so any help would make me most grateful...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 450.jpg
    Picture 450.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 458.jpg
    Picture 458.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
9 cm shell color

Dear Dano the color for the 9 cm shrapnell shell was ( Preussen blau )
translation Prusean blue i guess !
Whena you go to any mixingstations next to your city the will be able to mix for you the right color with this discibtion i will se so find on pic of it !

Wbr David

Dano,

Is your 9cm projo supposed to be a shrapnel or HE projo? That would indicate what color to paint it.

Yes Hazord you are right

i was very fast with my color opinion for this shell !

when i am not wrong the color for the he projo was red in color !!

wbr David

Thanks guys,
Thought a shrapnel projo, But Dave is it HE? I am really stoked about doing this one. And Geez David I think post lady got a workout carrying that package with the 90 and the 77 in the same box. I love the Dopp Z/c91 you sent with it as it is just cacked enough to fit with the relic theme. I think she (the post lady) has the hots (wants me dead) for me now!....Dano

Last edited:
yes the poor post lady

My dad was telling me when he went to the mail service in my town the lady there was not able to lift the packed on the weight plate to take the weight she was telling to my dad ''what to hell you are sending here '' :bigsmile:

you can see with us od collectors even the post women can be having realy hard times ! :tinysmile_hmm_t:

wbr David

Hi Dano that's a nice shell what type of 77 is it this is mine i done earlier
Andy

Attachments

• P1020622.jpg
    P1020622.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 59
77 shrapnel

Hi Dano, yes mine is a dopp Z96 not a very good one but its ok, i think your shell is the low velocity type as mine has the more crimping groves under the driving band.
Andy

Attachments

• 7.7cm.jpg
    7.7cm.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Dear Dano

Dear Dano yes your 9 cm is an shrapnell shell that means the color should be Prussian blue !!

The 7,7 cm are because of the thickness of the walls an He shell i will post in the evening the colored manual for both of the shells !!

wbr David

Dano,

Here is a photo of my 3 shrapnel shells. The one that looks like yours appears to have the separation joint just above the top rotating band. Look closely on yours, once you get it cleaned up. Also, the base unscrews on mine, just below the bottom rotating band. The paint seems to be original, and if you look closely it was put on by a brush as the projo was rotated. So, get some matching paint, fire up the potter's wheel or your record player, and paint up a storm. Oh, and if you use a record player, get a photo of it for documentation of restoration purposes.

Attachments

• 9cm German shrapnel.jpg
    9cm German shrapnel.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 9cm German shrapnel CU.jpg
    9cm German shrapnel CU.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 49