What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9cm projectile designation and fuze

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Below are pictures of a four banded 9cm projectile and it is 226mm tall. Can anyone confirm its official name and which fuze would be appropriate.

TIA

20200504_110803_resized.jpg20200504_110811_resized.jpg20200504_110842_resized.jpg

I know Austro Hungarian 9cm M75 with this shape but little shorter as your shell.
Could be Italian 87mm (length could match) but not sure because of (I think) different fuze thread

Last edited:
Yes the tapered fuze mouth opening tends to align with either the Italian shrapnel (Fig 4) or German M1873 shrapnal (Fig 4) - have attached the Austrian M75 / German / Italian & Russian for comparison - sorry no projectile length data.

The case & base markings will provide further clues - Alpini should provide further thoughts on it.

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• Projectiles3.jpg
    Projectiles3.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Projectiles2.jpg
    Projectiles2.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Projectiles1.jpg
    Projectiles1.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Projectiles4.jpg
    Projectiles4.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hi,

it's a danish "9 cm Granat". The fuze thread is unique for them. Don't find any other official name for the shell but I think it's a M.1887. As in most artilleries in the world it existed as a double walled shell and later a second type filled with segmented rings (Ringgranat). If it's a Ringgranat the rings would be visible in the inside if the fuze hole permits it.

Last edited:
Thanks Alpini. That is one country of origin that I would never have guessed! The fuze pocket that appears in the second picture shows that it is reverse thread, left hand screw, so confirms your comment about the fuze thread. Any diagrams or pictures of the fuze that would be used ?

Here you are

Attachments

• _DSC8014.jpg
    _DSC8014.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 27
  • M1875 Fuze.jpg
    M1875 Fuze.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 29
  • _DSC8023.jpg
    _DSC8023.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 25
Thanks to all, that has been greatinformation.

Can anyone now point me in the right direction where I might be able to obtain one of those fuzes ...? Please PM me if you can.