What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9mm drill round?

smle2009

Morning every one,
Can any body help with this 9mm I picked up this morning at a boot sale? it has a galvenised finish,is marked RG 56 9mm UT, the RG ect is obvious, UT? any ideas what this stands for & what(if any) Mk it is?
Thanks Tony

Last edited:
U I Inspectors round

Hi smle2009 what you have is in fact an "Inspectors" round and not a common "Drill" round.
UI = Inspectors
RG = Radway Green
56 = Manufactured in 1956
The inspectors rounds tend to be more accurately made and weighted than a drill round and are used more for reference purposes.
I am guessing that it may be a fairly unusual item in that calibre ?

You have a "Cartridge SA Dummy 9mm U Mark I"

The T is actually an I.

The U is for an inspection dummy that was aproved for use in 1943 and was superseded in 1966.

RG = Radway Green
56 = 1956
UI = Inspection Dummy Mark I

9mm UI

These are not particularly unusual in 9mm calibre, but they come in a variety of types, all known as U Mark I or the modern equivalent, L1A1. (see picture)

The original type had a steel head and rim screwed into a brass or bronze body (left hand round) which was supposed to be cadmium plated (like yours) but was not always. This was replaced by the all steel type (second left) which in turn was replaced in 1966 by the new Inspection Round L1A1 made of high tensile brass. There are two types of these, one with a groove mid body. (two right hand rounds).

All these rounds had the centre drilled out to give an overall weight the same as the ball round, about 186 grains.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 9mmU.jpg
    9mmU.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 19