What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9mm spotting drill round/dummy

smle2009

Hi to all,
came across this one the other day,it would seem to be a 9mm spotting drill round but I have never seen this type before.
Two lines of thought come to me about it, (1) it's a early UK drill round before the days of the normal one piece drill round(see last photo),my reasons are because of the wood distance piece,typically common in English use which can be seen through the single hole drilled in the case, and early UK service rounds of these did use US .22" hornet blanks before RG manufactured these blanks.
(2) it is a US example,again because of the US blank and on most Radway Green manufactured service examples I have seen part of the original 7.62mm headstamp can be seen.

Does anyone know this type of drill round?....Brit or Yank?
Atb
Tony

P9160001.jpgP9160002.jpgP9160003.jpgP9160004.jpg

It looks like the US sub-cal round for the Marine Corps SMAW. Does not usually have the hole in the tip, I'm guessing UK inerting for collectors? Try searching the forum for it, pretty sure it has been featured before.

I have no idea on your latest acquisition Tony but it definitely seems the UK manufactured several patterns of drill round for this weapon. I know you have the solid brass variation and I have a similar round but coated in grey plastic. TonyE posted a pic of a third drill round which was either nickel plated or made of a silver coloured metal. Your round does look typically British with its wooden spacer and the holes in the case but I'm wondering what dummies, if any, were produced in the United States. Does anybody know if the US produced a 9mm Spotter dummy?
Jim

Hi Jim,
I have also turned up another variation of the solid brass drill round....it has a 'drive band' machined on it :wink:

Atb
Tony