What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9x19mm Question

Lewis

I am a new member of this Forum, but a long-time cartridge collector, and I recognize a number of old friends in these posting I have read.

I collect 9mm Para ammunition and boxes and publish a listing of known 9x19mm headstamps, There are two British related headstamps that are reported to exist, but whose existance I have not been able to confirm.

BritWants.jpg

The first is a Howitzer headstamp but with the caliber designation 9x19. I have confirmed that Starline made this bunter, but have never confirmed the existance of a case with this headstamp. Does anyone have or know of one of these cases???

The second is a Hirtenberg case which indicates a military contract for the UK. Again, only the report that these were made. Has anyone ever seen this cartridge???

Any help appreciated.

Thanks...

Attachments

• Brit Wants.jpg
    Brit Wants.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2
9 x19

Hi Lew

Welcome aboard.

Sorry, but I cannot heelp you. I also know of the HP L5A1 but I have never seen one.

Cheers
TonyE

Hi Lew,
Just turned out my boxes of case,s found this,it was found on a British military range,wrong L No,but would suggest that HP did contract for the British millitary
Cheers Tony

Attachments

• P9070001.jpg
    P9070001.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Tony! Have the L7 and L12 by HP, but have never seen the L5 and wonder if it was ever actual produced or just some thing that never got beyond the planning stage.

HP

The problem is that L codes were often allocated in anticipation of placing orders, but then the orders were never placed. Lots of those sort of happenings in both 9 x 19 and 5.56mm.

Cheers
TonyE

It does have the NATO acceptance mark,which would suggest that it evolved further than the planning stage
Tony

Since there has never been an actual case seen, it seems to me that the NATO symbol could simply be from a drawing or even the figment of someone's imagination who knew that the L5 designation had been assigned to HP. Hope one shows up to settle the question.