What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A 37mm for identification

303hans

Hello, I have a 37mm grenade, looks French to me. It has on te grenade RN 26 and the Navy ancre. It has the looks of a ordinairy Obus Ordinaire but instead of the normally found Demarest fuze it has in its place an very od brass covered bij lead tip. Can anyone tell me what type of grenade it is and for which use.
Regards Hans

Attachments

• 37 x 85 granaatje met messing lood neus  4.jpg
    37 x 85 granaatje met messing lood neus 4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 37 x 85 granaatje met messing lood neus 1.jpg
    37 x 85 granaatje met messing lood neus 1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 37 x 85 granaatje met messing lood neus 3.jpg
    37 x 85 granaatje met messing lood neus 3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 37 x 85 granaatje met messing lood neus 5.jpg
    37 x 85 granaatje met messing lood neus 5.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 38
  • P1020218.jpg
    P1020218.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 32
As the case has evidence of trench arting, I would say the someone has inserted a brass plug in the fuze to make it more decorative.

Hello Highlandotter, Thanks for your reply. The case is indeed trench-art, but I found the grenade on a normal French PdPs case without trech-art markings.
I have several hundreds of 37 mm cases and put the trench art cases on grenades which I have to determine, so I can't forget that.
It has indeed the body of an M1888 grenade but the nose plug didn't look trench art to me, no grinding or somthing like that.
Do you know the meaning of the letters RN??
Regards Hans

RN could be for Rochfort Naval Arsenal.I am suspicious of the fuze because I have never seen or heard of one made from lead. zinc, yes. But it just does not look right. But it could be something rare and exotic. See the fuzes on the 37mm posted today.

Can you show the base of the projectile, if pre 1915 should be flat and have date etc. It could have been a plugged round fired for practice with a zink nose, but I don't understand the brass bit.

Hello,

French 37mm Mle 1888M design but with a very strange "fuze". Never saw such a disposal, however this shell is very common in France, which is a symbol (like a rooster!) and there are in every old houses (for decoration on the fireplace !). We often find strange brass device (trench art) instead of fuze for remembrance or for another use (lighter, lamp, etc...)
If it's a real fuze (I do not understand how it works), it has not been used on battlefield in France.

Cheers.

Gspragge,
Thanks for your reply. The bottom is the ordinairy M1888. Maybe trench art, maybe exercise or anything. Will make an X-ray in about 2 weeks an will let you know.
Highlandotter,
Thanks for your reply. Could you confirm that RN stands for Rochfort? I found the grenade in the Rochfort Region . (Charente Maritime)
MinenAZ16
Thanks for your reply. I find indeed a lot of 37mm on Brocantes in France.
Regards Hans

The finish and markings on this look more like late 1930s to me. Yes they did make more !
these late 1930s projectiles are not common. I think Army and not Navy.