What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A.C. Delay box restoration

turpin42

Hi all
Got a hold of two of the postwar AC Delay boxes, with a good deal of the text scraped away. Wanted to restore one of them to wartime issue.
After asking around and searching the internet have heard that the SOE tins were unmarked, but did find a picture of one with what looks like ink markings on it. I've seen others over here with faint markings on them.
Here's a pic of the restored one...
Does anyone know if i'm on the right track?

Attachments

• AC tin2.jpg
    AC tin2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 135
Sorry for my ignorance, what's an AC Delay?

Sorry for my ignorance, what's an AC Delay?
Jeff,
Basically it is long delay pistol working on the principle of acetone softening a celluloid disc holding up spring loaded striker. It was a development of the SOE technical division. Used for limpet mines typically but any appropriate sabotage charge could be initiated by the AC delay. Let me know if you want more info.

T42,

You are on the right lines but post-war manufactured boxes were slightly different size to the wartime manufacture. Wartime kits were refurbished (rehabilitated was the term used) and these can be identified by a red 'R' in the top RH corner of the box so you may have the WW2 version (the image shows a post-war manufactured tin).

Some early WW2 delay boxes were not marked but when the Ordnance Corps blanket stackers got involved more attention was paid to the value of markings. Large red 'A' for air pack, 'M' for mission pack.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

Hi Bonnex
Thanks for the info.
I guess i'll just keep it like this until i can track down a wartime example.

All the very best
T42

Thanks Norman, its easy to not recognise all the bits and pieces, especially in their component forms. The differences in terminology don't help either. All is clear now. So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks

Thanks Paul
Thats where i found some of the pictures. Thats a great site...
By the way if anyone has an original wartime dated A.C. Delay tin they would like to sell, please contact me.

All the very best
T42

A.C. delay box

I just found a picture of the tropical AC delay box, so this might help too. You are very close to it.
Mrfuze, USA

Attachments

• AC-delay MK I tropical, 1d, UK,.jpg
    AC-delay MK I tropical, 1d, UK,.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 59
Thanks

Cheers Mrfuze!
Great picture.
If anyone knows of or has an original wartime box for sale, please get intouch.

All the very best
T42

I have this picture (left) in my archives but I cannot determine which web site I got it from - sorry. The igniter is attached to the mine. Compare with my box (right).

T.

Attachments

• AC delay kit 1d.JPG
    AC delay kit 1d.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 54
  • AC delay kit 1e.JPG
    AC delay kit 1e.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 45
Thanks again

Hi F0031
I've seen that picture before also.
Thats the same postwar box i started out with.

There was a movie released over here last year called Max Manus.
It's about one of the "Oslo gang" who fought against the germans during the war. Brilliant film. Not sure if it is available in the UK. Other than it's a great story but lots of good scenes of limpets and other equipment they used. Well worth finding a copy!

All the best
T42

Re T42's Photo in his original enquiry

Hi all
Got a hold of two of the postwar AC Delay boxes, with a good deal of the text scraped away. Wanted to restore one of them to wartime issue.
After asking around and searching the internet have heard that the SOE tins were unmarked, but did find a picture of one with what looks like ink markings on it. I've seen others over here with faint markings on them.
Here's a pic of the restored one...
Does anyone know if i'm on the right track?

I have been asked what 'T over D' stands for in the markings on T42's AC delay tin.

Short answer is it is the manufacturer's code which is the last letter of the firms name over the first letter, in this case DrumcrafT Ltd. Thought out at great expense by a clever SOE cryptologist no doubt.

Great thread guys

Does anyone have any idea of an appropriate paint match for the original grey colour (Humbrol / Tamiya, etc?)

thanks
Paul