What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A challenge

smle2009

Ok, a bit of a challenge here to all members!

What is the your most favorite piece in your collection? no groups or 2nd/3rd choices and no this or this(if you do it means you are boring:bigsmile:) and ordnance only please
You know the one piece you would keep if,god forbid, you had to sell off your collection!

I was in this position a few days ago and had to seriously consider selling up(panic over now and sorted) and just could not decide which one piece I would keep,mind you the unopend box of .303" MkIII ball was a close contender:crossedlips:.

Cheers
Tony

That's a tough one. I suppose if I had to pick just one as a souvenir of my collecting days, it would have to be one with which I have some personal connection. There are a couple of those, but my choice would be the 6.5x25 CBJ saboted ball round. It was given to me by the designer when I visited him in Sweden, during which visit I fired off quite a few of those rounds in a couple of different weapons, one of them being a modified B&T MP9 PDW. The sigificance of that is that he had got the idea to convert that gun to fire his cartridge after reading one of my web articles in which I suggested it could be a good combination - and it is!

What?! CHOOSE??!! ANXIETY ATTACK!!!! Even with my comparatively limited collection, it's still a hard choice. I'll have to think on that VERY hard. Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

That's easy my 105MM M1 HE it was the seed to the collection The first one I bought. So could I replant?

Thats easy my aden 30/20 no question, thanks dave

Last edited:
Here is an odd one,years ago (in the 70s)when I first started in aviation archeology,I located a P47C that had crashed near Atcham airfield,during the recovery I found a .05 case with the head stamp DM 42,which were my initials and year of birth,from then I started collecting ordnance as well as lumps of aircraft,
Regards,
Don,

It would have to be my MkI Buckingham incendiary, it's not it's value it was because of how I got it. Not many people left in this world like the man I bought it from.

Richard.

Probably the start of my collecting interest...

Yeh ,mine must be a ratty ,squashed .50 cal case i found in my primary school garden,the site of a former US marine camp.
I no longer have that ,but my nephew went to the same school 30 years later and found another one for me!

Cheers,
Bob

Well a very difficult question to answer, but i would have to say after a fair amount of thought it would have to be my Mills gren. Odd really as i don't collect grens and this is my only one but it was given to me by a old man i met when i was about 14 on holiday in Cornwall and is the one item that started my real interest in ordnance.
Best Weasel.

36M Mk1.jpg36M Mk1 01.jpg

Last edited:
This is my favorite one. A British No1 Mk3 with its original paint, markings, cloth streamers and string pin pullers.:tinysmile_grin_t:
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Page1No1Mk3.jpg
    Page1No1Mk3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 39
Good thread.

Its got to be my 4.2cm German squeezebore round.

Dave.

4.2cm squeezebore.jpg4.2cm squeezebore headstamp.jpg

Probably my No 8, although if push comes to shove it would have up against some stiff competition. Cheers

Mine would be an SD2 - this one, it was the first in my collection!!
Though I have to say I still have the baseplate from a no36 Mills which got me started on collecting in the first place - when I was about 10 years old. The Mills sadly is long gone, but the baseplate remains through thick and thin .......never really figured out why -like many sentimental I guess!!

However SD2 it would be !!!

bb (17).jpg aa (2).jpg