What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of cases i bought on Sunday

ben2000

Hello all,

Thought i would share a couple of ww1 cases i bought at my local Militaria fair on Sunday.

The first is a 1917 dated 12 pounder 12cwt case with protruding primer. This case would have been sealed at the top with a "corrugated steel plate" and has the 3 notches on the rim that would have held it on.

The second is an 18 Pounder which was 1st made in 1914 and re-filled in 1915, I bought it as i thought i would clean it up, but when i got home i realised the 'Yuk' on the bottom was actually the original Yellow paint indicating it held a HE Shell. (there is also the odd trace of red paint from the red stencilling that would also have been on it)

Hope you like them, and by the way, does anyone have an image of what the 'corrugated steel sealing plate looked like???

Thanks, Ben.:bigsmile:

Attachments

• shells 001.jpg
    shells 001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 54
  • shells 005.jpg
    shells 005.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 62
  • shells 013.jpg
    shells 013.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 52
  • shells 012.jpg
    shells 012.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 57
Nice items.

And a very nice find too Ben !

I once had a pair of the 12 / 12 cases but swapped them out as I felt sure the protruding primer was wrong-oh well, we learn the hard way sometimes!:tinysmile_angry_t: