What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A new 75mm

Shell Shifter

Got this for Christmas. A bit different from my other one I posted some time ago. Appears to have the "correct" flattened balls glued in. I haven't tried to get the fuse out yet, seems pretty stiff and I am not comfortable with batting it around too much. It needs a bit of cleaning up too. I wonder when I see something like this, if it made by a collector or used for training. The other one I have has some sort of symbol on it that I take to be a unit designation (unidentified as yet), this one is pretty darn naked. No marks to be seen. The pitting on it looks like it was laying on it's side for some time. Nice find, I think. Enjoy.

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

Nice looking bullet! I haven't seen one sectioned like it before. Since it has two criping grooves, you might measure it to see if it is a 3inch/76mm instead of a 75mm.

There might/should be some info stamped in the base of the round, but I agree with HAZORD in it being a 3" field gun round since the length is about right. Cheers, Bruce.

In most cases, the 75mm projos from the WWI and before era don't have any crimping grooves.

Quite right. I even identified the other cutaway as being a 3".

There are some differences between them though. The current one has a dimple on the base from a turning operation.

They are typically turned to final diameter and faced off across the base. Maybe their tool was set a touch off scenter, leaving the dimple.