What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Newbies Gun Room

take-down

Just a couple of photos of my little collection
BOC005a.jpg

BOC006a.jpg

Nice collection take-down, you have quite alot crammed in there.
Thanks for showing,
Best Weasel.

Nice collection!

Birdseye,i think the highlighted round is a 1 pounder or pom-pom??

cheers

waff

Nice collection there!

Going by the apparent shadow at the bottom of the case, I am thinking rimless and therefore "Sockelflak".

40/60 Bofors Barrel Clearance or blank ?

Hi Take down, I see from your collection photo that you have either a 40/60 Blank or Barrel clearance round ?
Please would you let me know which one it is as if it is a blank then I have not seen one before!

Many thanks.

Just an old wall unit I save from the inlaws had to scrub the bird shit of first as it had been out in a farm shed for years

Back to the Pom Pom Round
I have 2 the one on the left is the one that was highlighted It has no markings on the base The one on the right has V S & M inside a circle Both are Rimed The projectile's
Have VSM on the base 1 with a S under & 1 with a V underneath
BOC010a.jpg

BOC011a.jpg

BOC011a.jpg
BOC012a.jpg

My opinion is that with the over stamping they were made up from fired shells, filled with metal & crimped. I see a lot over here do you want me to keep an eye out for you
they may be a NZ thing I don't know
Cheers

Thank you !

My opinion is that with the over stamping they were made up from fired shells, filled with metal & crimped. I see a lot over here do you want me to keep an eye out for you
they may be a NZ thing I don't know
Cheers

Heh take-down that really is a very generous offer but sadly I no longer collect such things !
My only interest in collecting is now mint Russian below 57mm as my old collection got totally out of hand, so now I strictly limit myself and have become really fussy about condition etc etc.

I strongly suspect that you are right and that it is an "NZ" thing using full cases that are then crimped for drill rounds.
Over here you would expect a cut down 40/60 case crimped at the top to be a "Barrel Clearance" round and a "Drill" round would generally be the fully dimensioned fluted and nickle plated round just like an over large .303 Drill.
All the best
Chris

1 Pdrs.

They are nice, both basically the same and correct, the one with the S on the projectile is a steel body, the other iron. Nice examples.