What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A picture for Ordnance

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Rick, did you have this shot?

The round looks like it could be WP. I don't think I've seen that type of shipping tube before, you can see they have a number of tubes open and ready to pull the rounds. I've zoomed in on a couple for the second shot.

Attachments

• 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 5aa.jpg
    5aa.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 5ab.jpg
    5ab.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 64
Thanks J.O. No, I hadn't seen this image before. I think you are correct....they are probably firing WP rounds. The paint is just too pale to be anything but that light green chemical color.

The tubes aren't that uncommon. Just the molded OD plastic ones with the screw-off tops used in the 1960s and later. Haven't seen any out there for a while but still have a couple around the shop marked for M374 HE rounds. Never read any documentation but always assumed the hard plastic tubes were tried to correct the swelling and crumbling of the asphalted paper ones in the Vietnamese heat and humidity.

I just can't see one of those 81mm deck mounted mortars without wanting one. There's a surplus dealer in the mid-West who has several demilled ones cut into 4 or 5 pieces. It would be a fun project to assemble one but really don't have a proper Swift boat to mount it on. It also occured to me that a 1000 pound, tripod mounted, unserviceable mortar with a .50 Browning on top isn't the most practical or portable display for the gun room. Not even our mortar-obsessed buddy Jerry is that crazy!

I wouldn't bet on it, he was over just before I left, he has big plans for his collection......