What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question about german bomb fuzes

kz11gr

hello

my question :

what means cpp a and Y on these fuzes . Rheinmetall-Borsig and ???

cpp a
cpp Y

thankyounkx.gif

Attachments

• 25D cpp a.JPG
    25D cpp a.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 55A cpp y.jpg
    55A cpp y.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Hi Kr,

Well, here's my very "limited" knowledge on German WW2 bomb fuses....remember I have only one of these fuses "somewhere".....:tinysmile_angry_t:

The "CPP" is the manufacturing stamp
The "A" is the standard fuse type
The "Y" is special deviation that has a anti-removal wire (obviously yours was never installed!!)

=======================================
Another fuze worth looking out for is the Y fuze this is similar in length to the (17) fuzes ie 3 screws in the head, 2 plungers and instead of straight sides this fuze was flared out at the bottom with a wire collar,designed to stop the fuze from being removed,the markings are EIAZ (50)B Cpp Y 8d.this fuze contaned a seperate circuit below the normal one with 2 dry cell batteries,and 3 mercury switches.its sole purpose was to kill the bomb disposal officer.who attempted to extract the fuze.
==============================================

Reference: "Fuseman" (probably an BOCN member)

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Bomb-Fuzes-a-laymans-guide_W0QQugidZ10000000001177383

I'm sure one of the "twin-fuses" will jump in and correct me! :bigsmile:

Cheers
Drew

Good info Drew but the 'Y' on those fuzes pictured is a batch letter.
The only time the Y denotes a special anti-withdrawl fuze is indeed on the long bodied 50 B Y.

Hi Waff,

Well I did state "limited knowledge"! LOL

I should now state "very limited knowledge"!!!!:sad:

Thanks for jumping in and clarifying the markings
Cheers
Drew

At the time these fuzes were being dealt with during ww2 finding a fuze with a Y stamped on it must have raised concerns especially after the type 25 and 50b appearing with the mucury switches. At the time the germans could easily have produced a a type 55 which was a Y fuze, they didn't of course.