What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A second projectile in my collection. Help ID

Bob60

The ruler in the second image is a standard 12 inch ruler.

IMG_6115.jpgIMG_6116.jpgIMG_6117.jpgIMG_6118.jpgIMG_6119.jpgIMG_6120.jpgIMG_6121.jpgIMG_6122.jpg

This came from Eastern Germany, near the Polish border, and is demilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's a austro-hungarian shrapnell from 1st WW or earlier with M.12 T&P fuze. Is it 15 or 12 cm? The projectile body looks like from a 15 cm G-Schrapnell, but the cap like from a normal shrapnel. I think both parts do not belong together.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the input.

Regarding the cap, I bought this from the chap who dug it up and being the luckiest man alive used a saw to cut the cap portion off without going to meet his maker. He stated that it was full of shrapnel and I have a few pieces. Could the wrong fuse have been attached resulting in the shot being a dud?

ok, I also thought 15 cm, but wasn't sure. The projectile body (lower part) is from a "15 cm M.14 Granat-Schrapnell". This type of projectile had an high explosive head without a thread. This head was pressed into the projectile body. Your upper part with fuze is a cap from a standard "15 cm M.12 Schrapnell" with M.12 fuze, this one had a thread to screw into the shrapnel body.

I would absolutely wonder when it was found in eastern part of germany. I come from eastern germany and know for sure, that never any austro-hungarian artillery was used here. More likely it comes from eastern part of Poland where austrian troops fought against the russians in WW1. Also the story about the cap was cut of from the projectile is untrue. The projectile body has clear impact marks on the upper rim and is badly corroded inside. The shrapnel body of a dud would look like new inside...

Last edited:
Many thanks for the info. You chaps are a font of knowledge.

I went and checked the cut and you are correct, two different shells.....damn!

Thank you again.

Last edited: