What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a strange No100 fuze

lcn

Hi
I found this fuze which which in exactly dimensions of a No100 (position of screws , striker plug )
But it is entirely in metal and without stamp and markings
30xjrc9.jpg

20h09l3.jpg

[FONT=&quot]
2uhpvky.jpg
[/FONT]

Thank you, Jean Paul

Hi
It is really a N100 graze fuze which one regularly finds on the 4.5 in, 18 Pr and 12 Pr HE.shells

Hi,

My initial thoughts are that is could be a late WW1 production fuze when precious metals were running low. This was clearly shown on the German side with the late war "Erzart" bayonets and helmets. Wondering if the low material also hit the Allies?
Strange that there are no markings, although it is heavily pitted.....

I checked the ebook "High Explosive Shell Manufacture" and it lists "brass" as the majority metal component.

http://ia340931.us.archive.org/3/items/highexplosiveshe00hamirich/highexplosiveshe00hamirich.pdf

Very unusual.
Cheers
Drew

Hi Jean-Paul,
Have you open the fuze ?
Should it not be a dummy fuze for practice shell ?

Yoda

Hi Yoda
Firstly thank you to those who participate in this post
No I did not open this fuze, but the idea of a dummy fuze might be good. It is true that a fuze in metal would many manipulations. By cons I have no trace of dummy fuze during the first world war, over the No100 had a short career before being converted either in or No102 No103.
An idea to dig
I joint a series of No. 100, must be added the No100 with gaine No1 and No2
14ict5f.jpg

Jean paul

My N100 steel fuze

Hi It's realy an live fuze N100 dated 10/16
We can see here mastic on plug detonator and this one come from an 18 Pr HE

Attachments

• 100GB-1.jpg
    100GB-1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 29
Hi
JP it's seem that the picture of the N100 II B is a N108
See the letter G striped, (and under isn't it the Top chemical shell 60Pr DD?)

Hi Doctor
Thank you for explanations on No100 Metal. For No100 II B, it seems to me that this is a cap of 60 pdr (repainted) for chemical shell 60Pr DD. The dimensions are correct and we can see the flat for superior diaphragm
Jean Paul