What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A wonderful/terrible facinating place

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
This came up in discussion a few days ago during a BS session at the SLICS show. I only have the general, non-ordnance specific shots available at the moment, but thought I'd show them anyway.

A few years ago I was asked to provide "technical assistance" at a site which was an abandoned ordnance recovery facility, used to turn ordnance into scrap metal. In use from the 1920s until the late 1990s it was eventually discovered that munitions had been buried and abandoned throughout the substantial property.

Tens of thousands of live pieces of ordnance were recovered at the site, from small arms (20-30mm) to large caliber bombs. In our first week on site we identified and packaged over 600 chemical items as well, from at least four different countries.

It was an incredible site, one of the most facinating I've ever been to. It was extremely dangerous as well, with fired munitions, leaking war chemicals, open explosives and thousands of open and loose commercial and military detonators (electric and non-electric) throughout the area.

Enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 303
  • D-GEN-054.jpg
    D-GEN-054.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 285
  • D-GEN-057.jpg
    D-GEN-057.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 284
  • D-GEN-059.jpg
    D-GEN-059.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 278
  • D-GEN-076.jpg
    D-GEN-076.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 275
  • D-GEN-077.jpg
    D-GEN-077.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 273
  • D-GEN-099.jpg
    D-GEN-099.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 266
  • D-GEN-100.jpg
    D-GEN-100.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 264
  • D-GEN-106.jpg
    D-GEN-106.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 278
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 286
Here's the rest. Most boxes are full.

Attachments

• D-GEN-133.jpg
    D-GEN-133.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 231
  • D-GEN-136.jpg
    D-GEN-136.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 233
  • D-GEN-135.jpg
    D-GEN-135.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 229
  • D-GEN-134.jpg
    D-GEN-134.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 243
  • D-GEN-126.jpg
    D-GEN-126.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 241
  • D-GEN-117.jpg
    D-GEN-117.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 244
  • D-GEN-108.jpg
    D-GEN-108.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 240
What a Mess;

Heavens what a clean up job, where was it?
John

Can't say right now, work related confidentiality stuff due to the ordnance and countries involved. These photos and the limited info is acceptable, but at the limit of what I can release.

site

Wow, collectors dream but very scary not knowing whats there, its condition etc. My respect to you guys who deal with this sort of stuff. 2pr

Fascinating place indeed. And very interesting pictures too. Many thanks for sharing this with us.

WOW, I can see at least 4 different types of British box there, some WW11 dated.

Is it safe to assume that someone is for the high jump after it is all sorted out?

Can't say right now, work related confidentiality stuff due to the ordnance and countries involved. These photos and the limited info is acceptable, but at the limit of what I can release.

Hi Sprengcommando,
I think that is all your getting !

Thats an eye opener! the Mills Bomb boxes look to be New Zealand manufactured ones by the det info in the stenciling.

Thanks for sharing the pics

MG34NZ

As one who has only recently joined this fascinating site, can you please say (if you are permitted) just how does one go about cleaning this up - I assume that detonators and fuzes can be removed but how do you get rid of the explosive element? Regards. Sam

Here are a few more pictures from the site.

Attachments

• D-CW-ITL-011.jpg
    D-CW-ITL-011.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 147
  • D-CW-ITL-005.jpg
    D-CW-ITL-005.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 146
  • D-CW-ITL-076.jpg
    D-CW-ITL-076.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 142
  • D-GEN-079.jpg
    D-GEN-079.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 145
  • D-GEN-074.jpg
    D-GEN-074.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 138
  • D-GEN-075.jpg
    D-GEN-075.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 139
  • D-GEN-056.jpg
    D-GEN-056.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 140
  • D-GEN-061.jpg
    D-GEN-061.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 142
  • D-GEN-053.jpg
    D-GEN-053.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 139
Page 2 2nd picture item on LH side

This came up in discussion a few days ago during a BS session at the SLICS show. I only have the general, non-ordnance specific shots available at the moment, but thought I'd show them anyway.

A few years ago I was asked to provide "technical assistance" at a site which was an abandoned ordnance recovery facility, used to turn ordnance into scrap metal. In use from the 1920s until the late 1990s it was eventually discovered that munitions had been buried and abandoned throughout the substantial property.

Tens of thousands of live pieces of ordnance were recovered at the site, from small arms (20-30mm) to large caliber bombs. In our first week on site we identified and packaged over 600 chemical items as well, from at least four different countries.

It was an incredible site, one of the most facinating I've ever been to. It was extremely dangerous as well, with fired munitions, leaking war chemicals, open explosives and thousands of open and loose commercial and military detonators (electric and non-electric) throughout the area.

Enjoy the photos.
A feally fascinating place US Subs and looks like you have your work cut out for some time!

I see an item on page 2 in the second picture (and also the 7th picture on the second set) the item is on the left hand side-this item looks remarakably like an item that needed to be identified but was not-I have trawled through the old "identification" threads and cannot find it-do you have any ideas as to what it is ??

Thanks for showing us what a mess some countries can get into when not properly regulated and inspected!

Last edited:
Still no idea on that item. I've got a good x-ray somewhere, but cannot read the format now as as is was taken by the site and it is proprietary to the software - no a bitmap or JPEG, etc. Haven't found anything that can convert it yet.

Best guess is German, due to a number of things. It was found with a group of German pieces (three of them were found), and nearly everything found was WWII or earlier. Nobody else had anything that sophisticated during that timeframe.

If anyone finds anything on it I'd be happy to hear it.

Hello! With the 2 picture series, fig. nr.8, that is German bomb transmission loads? Greeting Harry

So much for OSHA and rules for a safe working place! And responsibility for cleaning up a polluted area.Too bad the contract did not have a clause allowing selected bits for sale after disarming. Would have been nice as a tip jar for the deserving workers.

Another one for the experimental file

Still no idea on that item. I've got a good x-ray somewhere, but cannot read the format now as as is was taken by the site and it is proprietary to the software - no a bitmap or JPEG, etc. Haven't found anything that can convert it yet.

Best guess is German, due to a number of things. It was found with a group of German pieces (three of them were found), and nearly everything found was WWII or earlier. Nobody else had anything that sophisticated during that timeframe.

If anyone finds anything on it I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks US Subs it suddenly dawned on me after having made the post that it was almost certainly one and the same from your earlier posts.

Oh well, another one for the "experimental file" I guess.