What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About N3 rifle grenade Family

Spgr30

Ordnance approved
Hello,
When we read some documentation (IWM) or books (A.SAUNDERS), it is not clear about the numerotation of N3 rifle hand grenade family. HALE COMMERCIAL (brazilian Patern) was it the MARK I or didn't have a number, just called N3 "J" PATERN? We know that BEFcertainly used it early in 1914, but was it designed officially? Then, if it is the mark I, what about the grenade which have generaly the mark I (see the pic)? Perhaps, the N3A? Thanks for your answer. Sorry for my poor english and thanks PAUL'S GRENADE for the pics.
Best regards

Attachments

• Sans titre.jpg
    Sans titre.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 60
  • HALE COMMERCIAL or  3 MKI.jpg
    HALE COMMERCIAL or 3 MKI.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Page1No3mk1 or 3A.JPG
    Page1No3mk1 or 3A.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 39
Hi,

the No 3 Grenade'Brazilian Pattern' was designed by a Marten Hale and was made as either a hand or rifle gren. It was officially known as the Brazilian Patern Hales Grenade and initially being made by Hales for the Brazilian Govt. These were requisitioned by the British Govt in 1914. It was used early in WW1 until replaced by the official No 3 gren.
The No 3 was origianally known as the'J Pattern Military Grenade.
There were then many variants:
No 3 Mk 1 N restricted to Naval use.
No 3 Mk 1*L for land use.
No 3 Mk 11 C
No 3 Mk 11*L converion of the Mk 11 to land use.
No 3Mk 111 L
No 3 A Mk 1 C
No 3 A Mk 1* L
No 3 A Mk 11 L.
Also a dummy white version and they were also supplied with a rope tail so could be used as a hand grenade.

All this was gleaned from Daryl Lynn's excellent book the Grenade Recognition Manual Vol 2.

Andy

Last edited:
Hale's Grenades

Hi,

the No 3 Grenade'Brazilian Pattern' was designed by a Marten Hale and was made as either a hand or rifle gren. It was officially known as the Brazilian Patern Hales Grenade and initially being made by Hales for the Brazilian Govt. These were requisitioned by the British Govt in 1914. It was used early in WW1 until replaced by the official No 3 gren.
[...]
Andy
There are some photographs of the Brazilian Pattern at:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/album.php?albumid=110

N3 Family

Thanks a lot Andy, i should buy this book!
Un "grand merci" to Norman for your pics, realy very interesting!
best regards