What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice needed on German Shell

willand

I was looking through some Brasses on the Carboot yeasterday and came across a WW1 Shell that had been polished up and looked pretty smart , so i bought it to sell on ebay which is a bit of an hobby of mine.
However now i`ve got it home , i am a bit worried as to if it is safe or not.
The top part is still attatched to the shell which i have heard means it could still be live.
I asked on another forum and they deduced that from the picture i supplied that the primer had been removed.
The stall i got it off was some charity affiar ran by a couple of old ladies so i am presuming its safe and deactivated .
I just wondered if there is any way of telling if its safe or not as i just want to sell it on without any fear.
Markings on base are K 16 , Aug 1918 , sp255 , 917.
It is 16.5cm high and 43 mm across.
Any advice would be appreciated.

gshell-1.jpg

looks like the head has been pushed to far in to the case thats why it wont come out

regards lee

Hi, the primer is missing from the bottom and it appears
the projectile (top part) has been pushed further into the brass case than it would orginally have been (though I'm no expert on the 37mm stuff). Whether there is any explosive propellant inside is anyones guess, also the projectile would have had a base fuze which if present can't be seen.

Maybe there's a forum member near you who can look at it, failing that the only safe thing to do is contact the police

You have a German Tracer round for the SockelFlak

37mm in a 37x101 casing, it is in too far only a bit. Take a look at the album at the beginning of the projectile section and you will see what you have.Go to the landships site to see the gun.

Attachments

• 284c.jpg
    284c.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
If any one has one of these with--

a rotating band 12mm wide and possibly SP stamped on the body please let me know. Thanks.