What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aie ID requested

Toranaga

Ordnance approved
All,
Does anyone have an ID on the following projectile?
Measurements:
Length : +- 111 mm
Diameter : +- 37 mm
Weight : 450 g
3.JPG2.JPG4.JPG1.JPG

I think I saw pictures of this a few years back. At the time, and still to this day, I think this is suspect. the rotating bands are too prominent and square. The" fuze", what you can see of it is rather primitive looking, possibly a plug .Fuzes are most difficult to duplicate. What are the functions of the various rings machined on the projectile? If you can remove the plug, what kind of cavity is there, if any? Still think this is a one off project.

Idea up today is a ' Obus Franais de 37 mm ordinaire' used in WWI . After the war this one wass emptied and they put a new plug in it. The various rings were 'homemade' and the projectile was used as decoration.
Thanks for your input! Let me know if your ideas differ from mine!

Laurens

The common M1885 Hotchkiss which has started many a collector on the road of adventure looks some what like the one in the photos and probably was the one that was copied. It surely could be called Obus ordinaire. However, the M1885 is only 93.2mm long and has an average empty weight around 435grams. The rotating bands have a groove in the middle which makes them appear to be double and their edges are rounded. This is my best guess after checking references and items in my collection.