What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Guns and Defectively Deactivated Weapons

TimG

Premium Member
There’s been much in the UK news today regarding ‘The Queen’s speech’ regarding Prison reforms. The Bill that deals with this is the ‘Policing and Crime Bill 2016.’

(It must be stressed that this is NOT legislation YET. But is being presented to Parliament by the Government.)

On closing examination of said Bill one finds about half way through the document http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2015-2016/0158/16158.pdf (Page 111) is - Part 6 Firearms.

Section 102 of the Bill deals with the definition of a firearm

102 (3) In that section, before subsection (2) insert—

“(1B) In subsection (1)(a), “lethal barrelled weapon” means a barreled weapon of any description from which a shot, bullet or other missile, with kinetic energy of more than one joule at the muzzle of the weapon, can be discharged.

Current UK legislation limits air rifles to 16.2 Joules (12 ft·lbf) over which a FAC is required. Air pistols are limited to 8.1 Joules (6 ft·lbf), if it’s more powerful than that, it becomes a Sec. 5 Prohibited Weapon.

I would imagine that if this is enacted, a large number of air weapon owners are going to fall foul of the law. However, you can have an ‘Airsoft’ weapon up to 2.5 Joules!

Next of interest is Section 105 - Controls on defectively deactivated weapons -

105 (1) It is an offence for a person who owns or claims to own a defectively deactivated weapon—
(a) to make the weapon available for sale or as a gift to another person, or
(b) to sell it or give it (as a gift) to another person.

105 (4) For the purpose of this section, something is a “defectively deactivated weapon” if—
(a) it was at any time a firearm,
(b) it has been rendered incapable of discharging any shot, bullet or other missile (and, accordingly, has either ceased to be a firearm or is a firearm only by virtue of the Firearms Act 1982), but
(c) it has not been rendered so incapable in a way that meets the applicable EU technical specifications.

If enacted, one can only be thankful that the mere possession of 'defectively deactivated weapons' wasn't made illegal.

TimG

"For the purpose of this section, something is a “defectively deactivated weapon” if—
(a) it was at any time a firearm"

Ok, I don't speak "The Queen's English", but I consider myself reasonably proficient in the language. What exactly would constitute a legal, non-defective deactivated weapon???

I think the paragraph lettering is misleading:

105 (4) For the purpose of this section, something is a “defectively deactivated weapon” if—
(a) it was at any time a firearm,
(b) it has been rendered incapable of discharging any shot, bullet or other missile (and, accordingly, has either ceased to be a firearm or is a firearm only by virtue of the Firearms Act 1982), but
(c) it has not been rendered so incapable in a way that meets the applicable EU technical specifications.

I think it means a,b, AND c apply, not read in isolation, ie a or b or c or any combination of 2

Fuckers! They'll be restricting the sale and ownership of flowers next. Glad I bought my air rifles when I did.

Who made deacts defectivly deactivated, some faceless bureaucrat in the EU and home office. when they were bought they were perfectly alright and legal at the point of sale, the ba$???Ds moved the goal posts, i suspect they will be doing a lot more in the future, if we stay in the EU. If we vote out then there will be no EU directives to follow, sure as night is day, our stuff will be on the list if we stay in.

So what is the EU Technical Standard for deactivation?
We are going through the same thing here in South Australia with previously deactivated firearms proposing now to be registered, even though they went through the Police Armoury & inspected so they met their deactivation guidelines.
You people are not alone in the game of control!
Regardas Ozzi.

Theres a nice explanation of the current situation with deacts here:

http://dwa977.wix.com/dwa1#!eu-legislation/b7t85

Essentially it will be legal to retain current spec deacts but if you want to sell them they will have to be further deactivated to euro standards. Presumably law abiding collectors will have to shoulder the cost of this themselves.

Fred

Ozzi ,i think you are missing the point, its not about safety, its about control and perception.
Unlikely to save any lives, but looks good on paper and keeps some bureaucrats and 'public servants' employed.

A deact the last thing you would use in a revolution or uprising the elite fear.

Ozzi ,i think you are missing the point, its not about safety, its about control and perception.
Unlikely to save any lives, but looks good on paper and keeps some bureaucrats and 'public servants' employed.

Do we know when it's presented to Parliament by the Government and being adopted ? i.e. how long have we got to sell/buy any old deacts ?

Yes, I was making the point that inert & deactivated items are no threat what so ever to public safety, collectors & owners of deacts are easy targets for the feel good look to be doing something types around the world. Yes it is about control, & nothing to do with the actual threat to public safety!
Interesting news article also! Arrested but not charged. All firearm items were replicas, that looked so real (isn't that what you want when doing a Military display)! Anyone walking down a street waving one of these things around menacing other people gets what they deserve! This guy is obviously a collector/ history enthusiast, as these items were found on his property, not in the back of his car on a Saturday night doing a drug deal or planning a terrorist plot!
We just keep copping it in the backside!

Last edited:
Hey kahu1, any room in NZ for a couple hundred thousand firearm owners & ammo collectors from Australia?
We will BYO sheep. LOL.

Hey kahu1, any room in NZ for a couple hundred thousand firearm owners & ammo collectors from Australia?
We will BYO sheep. LOL.
If we end up staying in the EU any chance to claim political asylum in NZ as well.

We've already got Raz making those sorts of noise,but his missus won't let him !

BaaaHaaa, Raz makes a lot of noise about a lot of things, he must like NZ tho coz he is there quite often!
Regards Ozzi.

Theres a nice explanation of the current situation with deacts here:

http://dwa977.wix.com/dwa1#!eu-legislation/b7t85

Essentially it will be legal to retain current spec deacts but if you want to sell them they will have to be further deactivated to euro standards. Presumably law abiding collectors will have to shoulder the cost of this themselves.
And you can thank these two idiots for being a reason for the legislation.
[h=1]VIDEO. Grenades, bazookas, mines... Un arsenal de guerre saisi chez des particuliers[/h]

I heard on radio news early one morning last week an announcement which said a license will be required for owning a air rifle in the UK as will be a criminal offense to have one after next year with out it, its to cut down on people shooting birds of pray with them, i could not believe my ears, so that was the mandatory public news announcement,,,,,,, we have been warned, my answer to that is every one apply for a license 2 weeks before dead line