What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aircraft Destruction Mechanisms

khanmak

At the risk of repeating a question asked on an earlier thread (which I'm sure I've seen on here before but cant find), does anybody know anything (or point me to the earlier thread!) about self destruct charges fitted to either axis or allied aircraft during WW2. Obviously potential hazards when working on aircraft wreck recoveries would include ordnance, pyrotechnics and ammunition, but were any actual self destruct charges fitted to aircraft to enable them to be destoyed by the crew if they crash landed in enemy territory? In addition to the hazards mentioned above, cable cutting charges could also be added (perhaps not commonly thought about). I believe that at least 16 of these were fitted to Lancaster wing leading edges!
Any help much appreciated!
Cheers
Mark

Mark,

The Lancaster was definitely fitted with a switch on the underside so that if the aircraft was abandoned in flight and made a belly landing the aircraft would be destroyed. Also, some radio equipment e.g. H2S, were sometimes fitted with small charges to facilitate their destruction and prevent their falling into enemy hands.

Contact PeterG, he dealt with an accident many years back where someone was injured playing with some surplus RAF comms equipment.

Regards

Tim

Destruction devices

I have details somewhere, I think in an Enemy Ammunition pamphlet, of the Italian aircraft destruction device. I will try to find and post it.

Although not what you asked, I have details of the WWI British destruction charge carried on aircraft. The instructions for use conclude with the very astute "Run away"!

Regards
TonyE

Mark,

The Lancaster was definitely fitted with a switch on the underside so that if the aircraft was abandoned in flight and made a belly landing the aircraft would be destroyed. Also, some radio equipment e.g. H2S, were sometimes fitted with small charges to facilitate their destruction and prevent their falling into enemy hands.

Contact PeterG, he dealt with an accident many years back where someone was injured playing with some surplus RAF comms equipment.

Regards

Tim
Hi Tim, Sure glad you clarified "abandoned in flight" as I would sure hate to think that there would be a self destruct mechanism that might go off during a routine "crash landing"...............Dano

Just looked at an abridged owner's manual for the Lancaster, there were two incendiary bombs located on the forward face of the forward spar for use in the destruction of the aircraft.

TimG

Tim/Tony thanks for your info!

Dano - yes I think you are right - the idea of flying around in aircraft, full of petrol and explosives would not have been made any easier with a built in self destruct mechanism!

Cheers

Mark

In some type of radio and navigation equipment of British bombers have been build small explosive devises to destroy these equipment. Several different models have been used. On type that have been used as a explosive destruction devise is 100 mm long and 19 mm in diameter with in red the text Detonator or No. D64 Mk I.

The U-2 that was shot down over Russia with Gary Powers flying it had a self destruct button inside. But this was in the very early 1960's. So I guess it does'nt belong. My apoligies.

Last edited:
Tim/Tony thanks for your info!

Dano - yes I think you are right - the idea of flying around in aircraft, full of petrol and explosives would not have been made any easier with a built in self destruct mechanism!

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Not in the category of 'self destruct' but in 1943 there were three hand operated incendiaries for the destruction of aircraft in the RAF:
1. A variation of the 1 1/4 lb Incendiary (brasso tin)
2. Destructor Incendiary No 2 Petroleum gel for the destruction of gliders
3. US Grenade AN-M14

A special charge was produed by the SOE technical people for the destruction of the Eureka-Rebecca equipment in aircraft.

Aircraft demolition charge

Oups, the only charge I've found is german and of WW I ! Sorry for the quality.

Yoda

Attachments

• Dest Avn GE-01.JPG
    Dest Avn GE-01.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Dest Avn GE-02.JPG
    Dest Avn GE-02.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Dest Avn GE-03.JPG
    Dest Avn GE-03.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Dest Avn GE-04.JPG
    Dest Avn GE-04.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Dest Avn GE-05.JPG
    Dest Avn GE-05.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 36
Thanks all - the collective ordnance super brain that is BOCN comes up trumps again!

Cheers

Mark

Aircraft destruction

Hi Mark

Here are the scans of the two items I mentioned.

1. British WW1. Scan taken from Air Ministry publication "Details of Aerial Bombs", Leaflet No.9.

2. Italian WW2. Scan from "Handbook of Enemy Ammunition ", Pamphlet No.3.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• RFC demo charge 1.jpg
    RFC demo charge 1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 41
  • RFC demo charge 2.jpg
    RFC demo charge 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Ital demo charge.jpg
    Ital demo charge.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 52
I have this item, they told me that it was used to blow up the plain, or wings when they had a crash, Ben

Attachments

• detling-1 019.jpg
    detling-1 019.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 67
Destruction mechanisms,

Many years ago I read a book about the examination of shot down axis aircraft,apparently the pilots maps were coated with a sustance that would cause the map to ignite and self destruct unless it was unfolded in a particular way,unfortunately I no longer have the book,
Regards,Don,

I have this item, they told me that it was used to blow up the plain, or wings when they had a crash, Ben

Ben, here some images on it:

002.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

There is also a British WWII sabotage device to destroy enemy aircraft in midair. The device had to be smuggled into the aircraft prior to take off (usually in landing gear bay) and after it was armed it's barometric fuze set off the charge when the aircraft reached a certain altitude.

Thanks again all - really fascinating pics, diagrams and info! I suspect that most people would have no idea that these sort of items could be encountered in an aircraft!

Mark

I have an original RAF Air Publication 1661G dated 1951 which lists as current the following destructors -
1. Bomb, Aircraft, Incendiary 1 1/4 lb, Mk 1 - intended use - for destroying aircraft which have landed in enemy territory. The instructions for use suggest that it is fired above an open fuel tank filler - the incendiary filling will ignite 5 seconds after firing !
2. Destructor, Incendiary, No. 2, Mk1 - intended use - destroying gliders which have landed in enemy territory
3. Grenade, Incendiary, AN-M14 - used as an alternative to item 1 above
4. Destructor, Aircraft, HE, No1 Mk1 and Mk2 - (as portrayed in the reply above by EOD) - has a 60 second delay to enable the crew to distance themselves. The instructions for use give a special warning about synchronising the release of the fly-off levers when crews are using more than 1 of these articles.