What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airship Bomb - Capel Le Ferne

Millsman

Premium Member
I've just acquired this specimen.

The nose of the bomb is original and was found at the site of the Royal Naval Airship Base at Capel Le Ferne between Dover and Folkestone, in Kent.

The body and fins of the bomb were reconstructed based upon a drawing supplied by the local EOD at Shorncliffe barracks nearby.

Can anyone supply more details of this bomb? The airships were designed and constructed on site, so maybe the bombs were as well?

DSCN1916.jpg

looks like a hales practice bomb

Thanks Dave. The diameter and shape of the nose is the same as the Hales operational bomb but this one does not have the front section unscrewing, so yes Hales practice may be the answer. Just need a photo or a diagram to confirm it.

Here is a pic of my R L 16lb bomb, wch is very similar. The suspension gear was probably reasonably common to all aircraft. Mine is stamped 10/15 and DUMMY. Not sure why bases would make their own ordnance, unless they had workshop capacity available and official demands were delayed or otherwise not forthcoming. Nor do I know of this pattern from official records or drawings. Very interesting area with much development and trials at this early stage of the War.Alan1.DSCN0791[1].jpgDSCN0791[1].jpg Sorry about two pics, both identical!

Here is a pic of my R L 16lb bomb, wch is very similar. The suspension gear was probably reasonably common to all aircraft. Mine is stamped 10/15 and DUMMY. Not sure why bases would make their own ordnance, unless they had workshop capacity available and official demands were delayed or otherwise not forthcoming. Nor do I know of this pattern from official records or drawings. Very interesting area with much development and trials at this early stage of the War.Alan1.

Thanks Alan,

I think it may be modelled on your 16lb Dummy. It's interesting that your bomb has an artillery type fuse. My example does certainly have a Hales type nose but without the front section having the ability to unscrew.

I do have a very good Hales bomb (see photo - excuse paint), so I can compare sizes. As you can see the Hales has a single suspension point whereas yours and my 'copy' has one on each side of the body.

The reason I said the Capel Le Ferne base may have made their own bombs was because they actually designed and built their own airships on site, so I thought they may have had workshop capability to make crude bombs as well.

DSCN9000.jpg

Last edited:
Drawing of a Dummy Bomb 16lb shown below. It bears some resemblance to the bomb shown in the OP, but the accuracy of the reconstructed body and fins might be questionable.

I think it may be modelled on your 16lb Dummy. It's interesting that your bomb has an artillery type fuse.

The official Dummy bomb was modelled on the 16lb HERL shown in post #4. The nose nut is not an artillery fuze, it is a nut that secures the exploder tube and allows the fixing of an extension rod. The bomb used a Pistol, Bomb, Mark II in the tail to fire the detonator.

Attachments

• Dummy 16lb.jpg
    Dummy 16lb.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Drawing of a Dummy Bomb 16lb shown below. It bears some resemblance to the bomb shown in the OP, but the accuracy of the reconstructed body and fins might be questionable.

I have to agree with that! It's not a masterpiece.

The official Dummy bomb was modelled on the 16lb HERL shown in post #4. The nose nut is not an artillery fuze, it is a nut that secures the exploder tube and allows the fixing of an extension rod. The bomb used a Pistol, Bomb, Mark II in the tail to fire the detonator.

Thanks very much - great information.

The drawing supplied by the EOD must have had twin lugs like the RL 16 lb version shown by Alan.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I have a Hales in section (in its original crate), and a service version. Not at home just now, but as soon as I am back I'll post a few pics for comparison purposes. As I said, very interesting period with much development and experimenting going on.
Alan1

I've spoken to the man who reconstructed the bomb in post #1.

He said he had TWO diagrams given to him by the EOD operative. They had different fins. The diagram of the dummy bomb posted by Snufkin shows a single attachment point very similar to the standard Hales bomb for attachment to an aircraft. The version the man made follows the second diagram with larger fins and two attachment points. So there may have been an airship version and an aeroplane version.

He's going to try to find the two diagrams he was given. He's sure he has them indoors somewhere.

Update.

The bomb shown in post #1 was reconstructed by referring to a drawing and a photo supplied by Shorncliffe EOD. At present the drawing can't be found but the photo has been found (below).

Airship bombs.jpg

As you can see the two bombs in the photo have different tails. These are also different from the drawing supplied by Snufkin in post #6, so there may well have been three if not four versions of this bomb's tail. The nearer of the two bombs only shows one hanging lug the rear one two but that may only be the way the nearer bomb was positioned.

That looks to be a cropped image. The uncropped photo might be a little more useful, to be able to see the complete tails and also the noses.

Last edited:
That's all I've got at present. I may pay Shorncliffe a visit to see if they still have information.

Hi guys,
H/w the pic of the Hales in section in its crate and a service version in original paint. The shield shaped transfer just aft of the suspension lug is the trade label of the James Cycle Company who were much involved in ammunition production at the time. Alan1.DSCN0794[1].jpg

What outstanding items. Completely unrestored and magnificent patina. Must be a joy to own.