What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albrecht Trench Mortar Projectiles

Gspragge

Premium Member
Does any one have information on these ? There was a gas bomb
and I believe an explosive type, the latter may have been a concrete
creation if I remember an article I can no longer find. If these are in
the German Shells 1918 book I don't recognize them.

Attachments

• MWwire&wood.jpg
    MWwire&wood.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 70
The same type piece was used by the Germans, French and UK (9.45"). The US reportedly used them as well. Someplace I have a US book on the gun, but I cannot find it at the moment, and I'm not sure if it was on the UK weapon, or a separate US version.

The projectiles are still found on occasion in France and Belgium, the Belgian EOD at Poelkappele have 3 on display, described as one from each country. The only way to tell them apart is by the fuze installed (all are live). In the UK there is a lare collection of theirs awaiting destruction at a certain facility in the SW, there they have several experimental variations as well.

All three countries have tales of there being a CW load, but EOD personnel at each country's CW collection areas people will tell you that while they suspect the possibility of a CW load, no one can confirm it. No CW loaded 240s have been found in decades, if ever. I'll try and look up some photos of recovered HE rounds later.

Would this be the projectile

Though the gun is different. On barrel I didn't see any where to use the usual screw in friction igniter. It might have been fired electrically from a distance.

Attachments

• 382c.jpg
    382c.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 37
Looks as though I may have been on a completely different weapon. Here is the US version I was referring to (found the book), with a couple of recovered European projectiles in Belgium.

Attachments

• mortar2.jpg
    mortar2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 35
  • mortar1.jpg
    mortar1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 52
Ammunitions for the Albrecht is a 25cm steel cylinder close on top and base by wooden plate.
Two types of variant, one with a steel holder on top wooden plate an the other with conical steel cap with holder on top
It's itiniated by bickford delay with pyrotechnic detonator
Exist in 35 and 45cm caliber
Loaded by black powder.
Explosive is mixed with steel pieces

Here some bombs for this gun

wp1ss1eawv.jpg

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 24
just had a look through some files and found what i believe are ammunition drawings for the Albrecht they are in German language
(im assuming these are for them because it says "albrecht" at the bottom of the drawings if this is incorrect let me know and i will delete my post)

Attachments

• Rw-1WK-MW-25A-01.jpg
    Rw-1WK-MW-25A-01.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Rw-1WK-Mi-190-01.jpg
    Rw-1WK-Mi-190-01.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Rw-1WK-Mi-245-01.jpg
    Rw-1WK-Mi-245-01.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Rw-1WK-Mi-245-02.jpg
    Rw-1WK-Mi-245-02.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 45
Fabulous ~

My Albrect went to a local Military museum and they wanted some information. Many thanks.