What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All quiet on the Western front (1930)

sksvlad

I just watched it and I was shocked how good it was https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020629/. Another thing which shocked me was the length of the movie. I did not know studios would allow a movie to be that long. The ending here is much closed to the Russian edition from many years ago. Wow wow wow.

That's the only version I've seen. A very powerful film. Will try to catch the new Netflix version soon.

I watched this movie last weekend, and though the cinematography is outstanding, I thought the movie too flawed to do justice to the book.
The makers seem to have just picked a few chapters from the book, the scènes filmed, I would, at very best describe as, "loosely based on".
Besides (to my taste) missing very many important bits of the original story, the entire film felt too neat/sculpted/styled.
I feel the movie lacks the total devestation and desolation that the book portrays.
The movie also displays a lack of understanding of 1916 to 1918 tactics/warfare.
Having read the book multiple times, I feel that the 1970's movie does it better justice.

Last edited:
"the entire film felt too neat/sculpted/styled."

You seem to forget that if a film director wants his movie to be succesful, he cannot take the chance that the woke community finds his movie too be not intersectional. I have not seen the movie yet, but I assume there must have been at least a LGBTI German, a gender neutral, and at least a couple of black German soldiers in the trenches If not, I fear the film critics will have a field day.