What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Allied Leaflet Bombs

Antoon

Ordnance approved
I have a question about the numbering of Allied leaflets bombs used during WW2.

On the internet you reed different information.

The so called MONROE Bomb (made of the transport container of the M-17 incendiary cluster) is called T-1, other say this is the T-2. The Brits called this the 350 lb. MUNRO Bomb.

The M-26 Hooded Flare can be rebuild to Bomb Leaflet 100 lb. T-3. (weight filled approx.65 lb.)

The M-15 Adapter Cluster can be rebuild to Bomb Leaflet 100 lb. T-2 (weight filled around approx. 55 lb.)

The M-16 Adapter Cluster can be rebuild to Bomb Leaflet 500 lb. T-3 (weight filled approx. 175 lb.)

Who has the correct information about the Allied leaflet bombs used during WW2 in the ETO and the Pacific?

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 72
The original 8th Air Force Monroe Leaflet Bomb was titled the T-1.
This was the one converted from redundant M-17 Incendiary Bomb transit cases to Monroe's design, firstly at Sharnbrook Ordnance Depot, then at the nearby Melchbourne Ordnance Depot which had larger facilities.
The T-1 used the T-39 Time Fuze.

An improved version, built to the same design but with purpose-made cases from a British manufacturer was titled the T-2. The T-2 featured fins for stability, and the unreliable T-39 fuze was replaced by the No.860 fuze.

The next leaflet bomb was the conversion of the M26 Hooded Flare.
This was titled the T-3, or T-3(M26), and was an RAF development.

All the above were originally only used in the UK.

I'll see what info my manuals throw up regards the Adapter, Cluster series of leaflet bombs and report back.

All the best,
PB

Have you also a picture of the T-39 fuze?

Not as yet.
It would appear that the T-39 was found to be unreliable in service, and was quickly replaced by a readily available British barometric fuse. I have a single photo of what is captioned as the barometric fuse used.

I found a few more photo's this evening, one of the No.860 fused T-2 (with T-288 marked on the casing), an experimental leaflet bomb developed by one Bomb Group in the 8AF using the transit case from the 500lb M76 Cluster Bomb (abandoned after trials) and one photo of the T-3 Hooded Flare conversion being used in Italy by the USAAF.

I'll get them scanned in and uploaded as soon as I get a chance.

I also found some photo's of the M15 and M16A1 containers being used for leaflets, although these seem to be post-WWII when used operationaly.

All the best,
Paul

Here a picture of captain Monroe. This should be the T-1 Bomb.
Also a cut away drawing of a Monroe bomb with barometric fuze. This should be the T-2 Bomb with fuze No. 860 Mk II.

Attachments

• CPTJMonroeSetFuse.jpg
    CPTJMonroeSetFuse.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Leaflet bomb  kleur.jpg
    Leaflet bomb kleur.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
The original 8th Air Force Monroe Leaflet Bomb was titled the T-1.
This was the one converted from redundant M-17 Incendiary Bomb transit cases to Monroe's design, firstly at Sharnbrook Ordnance Depot, then at the nearby Melchbourne Ordnance Depot which had larger facilities.
The T-1 used the T-39 Time Fuze.

An improved version, built to the same design but with purpose-made cases from a British manufacturer was titled the T-2. The T-2 featured fins for stability, and the unreliable T-39 fuze was replaced by the No.860 fuze.

The next leaflet bomb was the conversion of the M26 Hooded Flare.
This was titled the T-3, or T-3(M26), and was an RAF development.

All the above were originally only used in the UK.

I'll see what info my manuals throw up regards the Adapter, Cluster series of leaflet bombs and report back.

All the best,
PB

Found a document that the Propaganda Leaflet Bomb T1 is also fitted with the British fuze No 860. ( see attachments).

Attachments

• T-1 tekst 001.jpg
    T-1 tekst 001.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 66
  • T-1 tekening 004.jpg
    T-1 tekening 004.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 86
I found these two photos in the USAF archives today, showing the packing and loading of what appear to be basic leaflet bombs by the 8AF sometime in early-mid 1944:

LB2-1.jpg

LB1-1.jpg

All the best,
PB