What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aluminium filler

Falcon

I recently saw aluminium filler being discussed, whereabout do you get it, and how much does it cost? I have a heavily pitted nose cone for a No. 199 Fuze that I would like to try and restore with aluminium filler.

metal filler

Hi

Metal filler i use is called 'CHEMICAL METAL.'
Its a 2 part filler with aluminium powder.
Comes with 2 tubes,one small other large.
The largest of the two is bright yellow.

I love the stuff because after sanding it gives a 'cold metal feel' that other fillers do not.
Its also easy to sand.
Expect to pay about a fiver.
Its found in most large DIY stores.
I got mine from Halfords
Hope this helps.

I looked up some photos of the finish of chemical metal on google earlier, and it unfortunately doesnt set metal coloured. What would be the best paint to spray over it to give the look of polished aluminium?

metal filler

stuff i use sets a metalic grey,like dull steel.(u can see a slight glisterning of the filler)
Its a filler for metal,its not designed to look like polished steel.

u cant get a spray that looks like polished steel,its imposible.

Nearest you'll get is a chrome spray paint,but even that just looks like silver paint.

I use it because it sets hard and is grey,so its easy to paint over and doesnt chip or break off like other fillers.

If its a plain part thats basically like a tube,why dont you find someone with a CNC lathe and have it remade,so you can have it polished up??

and what about electrolyte plating??

Its an aluminium nose cone for a No. 199 fuze. It has an internal thread which is some obscure non-standard imperial thread. Getting one turned up would probably cost more than buying another fuze. I also thought of turning one up at work but unfortunately don't have the time.

I know there is no spray paint that looks like metal, but I wondered if there was anything "close" to polished aluminium.

Hi Falcon, Humbrol do a Polished Aluminium No 27002 and a polished steel No 27003 under metalcoat colours
i have not tried these but they look ok
Andy

Krylon paints

Ive been scouring the net and came across,KRYLON spray paints.

they come in a variety of colours,including a range of 'metal' finishers.

I know the airsoft community use them to paint their airguns for 'skirmishing' and as i'm a airsoft gun nut myself I can vouch for the excellent finish they give.
(But i havent used the metalic finish)

Also,if these guys are prepared to use this product on very expensive airguns,this speaks volumes for me.

Go on GOOGLE and type in KRYLON spray paints, or try 'KRYLON metalic review'...

maybe we need an article just about paint....................?
Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: