What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammo box seal id

smle2009

Hi to all,
Unknown to me I have started a sub-concious collection of ammo box seals,RG,FID,CBC,RT ect.
Today I turned up this one with a anchor/chain and crown motif with K.M marked underneath,originaly fixed with copper(coloured) wire,the crown looks to be German/Dutch? in style,the the M above the crown in the photo is part of the K.M stamped from the reverse side.
Any help on id with this one would be great and also to know if I'm alone in the picking of these things up!!!!

Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• P5050001.JPG
    P5050001.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 55
  • P5050002.JPG
    P5050002.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 36
Hi Tony, there nice i have a few plane ones
andy

Attachments

• P1020992.jpg
    P1020992.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 67
Hi TonyE,
Must admit I tend to feel towards Dutch,It would make sence as they were playing on the happy hunting ground not that long ago!
Cheers
Tony

OK Tony i will keep you one and send it to you with our next swap:tinysmile_twink_t2:
Andy

Hi Super7,
many thanks for that,must have had a very high tide that day concidering where I found them:xd:
All the best
Tony

The round `AIE' and `AIW' seals would have been used by Ammunition Inspectorate units, now part of 11 EOD Regiment RLC. They have remained unchanged since the 1970s at least, from the time of No. 1 AIDU (Ammunition Inspection and Disposal Unit). In about 1980 No. 1 AIDU changed its title to 11 Ordnance Battalion (EOD) RAOC and in 1993 11 Ord Bn changed to 11 EOD Regiment RLC. I believe that AIE stood for Ammunition Inspectorate East and AIW Ammunition Inspectorate West. I'm sure there was an AIN and there may have been an AIS, for the North and South of the UK. They were never updated to reflect the change of the unit name because all those who knew of the seals were aware that they were applied by ammunition inspection personnel. In British service, lead seals were always applied by Royal Ordnance factories. The RG FID seal was also a factory seal - I'm not sure what FID stands for. Also `KTN' and `LTN' are UK depot seals. `GER' and `WFN' were British army depot seals for (West) Germany. `CSB' was a seal used by the UK Combat Supplies Battalion that was based in Germany. Some time in the early 1980s Combat Supplies Battalion changed its title to 5 Ord Bn RAOC but as with `AIW' etc, the `CSB' seal continued in use. I suspect that since the re-unification of Germany, `Options for change' (ie cost-cutting measures) `GER', `WFN' and `CSB' may no longer be in use.

The Monograms GER WFN and CSB are still listed as current in JSP 482 Chapter 23 (The MOD Regs on Explosive storage). There will still be legacy stocks of explosives around the world that have previously been subject to inspection, repair or repack at the locations subject of these monograms. The list in JSP 482 does not mention the RG/FID - the only listings relate to RG - Radway Green or RORG - RO Radway Green. Listings for AIE AIW and AIN relate to 621 721 and 521 squadrons 11 Reg (EOD) RLC respectively. There is no listing for AIS.

Hi Ammotechxt & exat808,
Thanks for the info,the CBC tab in the photo is from a contract of ammo made in Brazil for the UK.
Turned another one up the otherday with NEC marked on it,any ideas?
Cheers
Tony

Hi smle2009 - do we know the contents of the container that thad the NEC seal?
Possibly "Nobels Explosives Company" - they produced a wide range of commercial and military products.

Forgot to add CBC is Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos - largest ammunition manufacturer in latin America.

Hi smle2009 - do we know the contents of the container that thad the NEC seal?
Possibly "Nobels Explosives Company" - they produced a wide range of commercial and military products.

Hi exat808,
I'm afraid not,but can narrow it down to military and either 5.56mm or 7.62mm blank ammo,isn't Noble headstamped on the rounds as MEN or DAG?
Cheers
Tony

Last edited:
I would have plumped for Nobels Explosives Company too. By the way, if you see a round seal with the letters `LBK' (Lubeck in West Germany) that was an inspectorate seal for the Ammo Inspectorate BAOR. Some time in the 1980s it changed its title to 221 EOD Company RAOC. I have no idea whether it is still in use but perhaps it may also be on legacy ammo boxes as exat808 says.

Wasn't there an Inspectorate in Herford too? I think one of the guys in my block worked in it.

MOD still list as current the monograms from BAOR days as follows -
BAI - general code for Ammo Insp BAOR
RHN - former 1 Det BAOR Ammo Insp
LBK - former 2 Det BAOR Ammo Insp
HNR - former 3 Det BAOR Ammo Insp

PAD - former 51 Ord Coy
POM - former 52 Ord Coy
SEN - former 53 Ord Coy

If anyone ever finds any boxes marked with INSP or REP or FRAC followed by the Ammo Techs unique code "TR" - that was me. Location codes will be AAC GER HKG AIN - theres a pint for the first find!