What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammo box

Hi Ed,
I agree with what gothica said,plus I'm sure there are many scarce WW2 ammo boxes in collections, because they have survived due to spending many years in some ones lockup,attic ect being used as storage boxes
Kind regards Tony

Hi Ed,
I agree with what gothica said,plus I'm sure there are many scarce WW2 ammo boxes in collections, because they have survived due to spending many years in some ones lockup,attic ect being used as storage boxes
Kind regards Tony

These are the boxes that end up on ebay. As the generation that brought them back from the war die and the estates are sold off.

There are still some of the rarer boxes still in circulation for the same reason. I recently scrapped a C.219 (40mm Bofors) that had been returned to depot (its not in service anymore, someone must have had it squirreled away somewhere using it for storing something.

I recently acquired a C.238 mkI dated 1943 that had been used as a vehicle toolbox. It arrived with a load of mk IIs for refurbishment and they all had a veh reg number painted on the front and a slot cut out of one of the corners. It was so rusty that it was only the paint holding it together. I also semi acquired a C.238A dated 1945 which was in unbelieveabley immaculate condition. It had been used in lieu of a mk II. The C.238 in various mks is still in service. B.167 (2" mortar) is still in use for something and the C.235 (3.7" QF gun) is now used for some engineer type dems explosive. H.50 and M.104 are both still in use too.