What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammo Link ID

Hi

I found this ammo link near Death Valley National Park in southern California. I'm assuming it came off of an aircraft from the China Lake Naval Weapons center nearby, but am trying to figure out what type of craft/gun it might have come from and a timeframe. The identifying symbol is a C3? stamped on the side. The large ring is 20mm. See photo. Thanks very much.

Rob IMG_1494.jpg

Thanks! that appears to be it. sounds like this is a pretty common round used by the military since the 30s. I found the line below, does that give you guys a clue as to which link it is. The C3 stamp must be an identifying key but I can't seem to get any info on it. Rob [h=2][/h]Two distinct and non-compatible metallic links have been used for the .50 BMG cartridge, depending upon the machine gun which will be firing the cartridges. The M2 and M9 links, "pull-out" designs, are used in the Browning M2 and M3 machine guns. Pull-out cloth belts were also used at one time, but have been obsolete since 1945. The M15-series "push-through" links were used in the M85 machine gun. When the M85 was taken out of service, large stocks of ammunition linked with the M15 link remained in US military storage because of the ease with which linked ammunition can be de-linked and re-linked with different (i.e. in service) links.

IMG_1079.jpgIMG_1082.jpgIMG_1080.jpgIMG_1081.jpgIMG_1083.jpg

Assorted links and linker/delinkers, with a 20mm version thrown in for variety.

Orpheus answered your question about the C3.

Last edited:
Rob,

The C with number marking could be "Continental Can Co, Wilkes-Barre, PA."

See lower right side on picture.

Attachments

• markings Links.jpg
    markings Links.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 26
Thanks all. Very helpful. It does appear that the continental can company is likely and I'll look more into that although the C onthe link I found is more oblong than circular and I haven't seen the same exact image yet. Apparently there is a guide to .50 BMGs by Ron Fuchs which used to be online but I haven't been able too find an active link yet. I will keep pursuing. Any other leads are welcome.