What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammunition Labels 6

EODGUY

More labels. Photo 52 shows the label cut off on the corners only because it wouldn't fit in the scanner.

Attachments

• Labels 48.jpg
    Labels 48.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 46
  • Labels 49.jpg
    Labels 49.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Labels 50.jpg
    Labels 50.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Labels 51.jpg
    Labels 51.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Labels 52.jpg
    Labels 52.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Labels 53.jpg
    Labels 53.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Labels 54.jpg
    Labels 54.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Labels 55.jpg
    Labels 55.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 26
Hmm, the first label has "Walsrode" on it which is a location in Germany where propellant powder was produced.

Anyone out there who can explain why the British used German propellant?
Or did I get something wrong?

After WW2 Walsrode was home to a British army ammunition inspectorate unit. If it isn't as you thought, that the British used German propellant from the Walsrode factory, then possibly the ammo inspectorate unit applied such labels to batches of downgraded ammo, presumably following unsatisfactory performance of the ammo operationally, eg Training only.

Thanks for your input.

Are any other labels known where such depots or inspectorate units are mentioned?

'Walsrode' was the trade name of a type of nitrocellulose propellant developed by the chemical factory situated at Walsrode. I think, it was originally developed as a shot gun propellant. We, the British and others were using it before WW2 and during it.

Regards

Timg

Last edited:
Walsrode

As Tim says, Walsrode in this instance identifies the type of propellant. It is not connected with any depot or inspection facility.

These CAC HIz Grenade Discharging cartridges had the top half of the case lacquered purple instead of the normal British black nitrate stain. They were packed in a small cylindrical tin which I believe went into the crate of twelve grenades.

I can post a picture if required.

Regards
TonyE

TonyE,

If you would be so kind, please. At a guess, not having seen any, is it 'Annulus Purple'?

Regards

TimG