What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANM-57 "ordnance code"?

DEADLINE222

I think it is called the "ordnance code".

It is a big number found on almost all World War 2 big ordnance, trasport boxes, ect.

For example the "code" for the 500 pound AMN-64 is "S I I C A".

Does anyone know the code found on the 250 pound AN-M57 general purpose bomb?

Deadline,
sorry i cant help but maybe someone could tell me what AN-M stands for?

What you're after is the WWII AIC (Ammunition Identification Code), which worked from the ORD-11 Standard Nomenclature List categories and was replaced by the DODAC (Department of Defense Ammunition Code), by the 1960s.

I'll use the one upthread as an example: S1ICA Bomb, GP, 500lb AN-M64A1 (Tritonal Filling), with transit hoops

"Bombs, Grenades and Pyrotechnics" were listed under SNL Group S, which gives the first character in the code.
Subsection 1 deals with "Bombs, aircraft, all types", so the second character is a 1.
The last three characters specify the type of ordnance and the packaging methods etc., however I don't have the relevant manuals which decrypt the whole thing.
These should be Ordnance Field Service Bulletin No.3-14 (Tentative) Ammunition Identification Code (A.I.C.) from 1942, and the expanded Service Bulletin 9-AMM 5 which apparently covers them all.

Some other examples from S1:

S1FKA 2 Bombs, Fragmentation, 23lb M72, with fuzes, in wooden crate
S1HTA Bomb, GP, 500lb AN-M64A1 (TNT Filling), with transit hoops
S1HWA Bomb, GP, 500lb AN-M64A1 (Composition B Filling), with transit hoops
S1GDA Bomb, Chemical, 500lb AN-M78 (AC Filling), with transit hoops

From S2, Fuzes and miscellaneous explosive components for aircraft bombs:

S2NLA 48 Fuzes, Nose, Bomb, AN-M126A1, in metal tubes, in wooden crate
S2NRA 25 Fuzes, Bomb, Nose, AN-M103A1, in metal tubes, in wooden crate
S2QNA 25 Fuzes, Bomb, Tail, AN-M100A1, in metal tubes, in wooden crate
S2QQB 9 Fuzes, Bomb, Tail, AN-M102A2 (.025 Sec Delay), in metal tubes, in wooden crate

S-3: Fin assemblies, and miscellaneous inert components for aircraft bombs:

S3FHB 20 Containers, 100 Arming Wire Assemblies, in wooden crate
S3JWA Fin Assembly, 250lb size, AN-M106A1 with/without accessories, in metal crate
S3POB 5 Arming Wire Assemblies for Bomb, Chemical, 100lb M47A2, in round metal tin

S-5 Pyrotechnics, military, all types:
S5PDC 72 Signals, Aircraft, Double Star, Red-Red, AN-M37A1, in wooden crate

I have the following AIC noted regarding your AN-M57 query:
S1DDA Bomb, GP, 250lb AN-M57A1 (Tritonal Filling), with transit hoops

Hope that helps,
PB

So lets say I have a Bomb,GP,250lb AN-M57A1 "and I want to paint it up as TNT" with transit hoops,,,,,it would be S1DTA instead of S1DDA?
M57 an MK82=BDU 50 013.jpg

Brilliant presentation ramc181.

After reading that, all that I am left with is to unveil my entry into the official "AN-M57 casing that needs a fin and ammuniiton identification code" contest.

Sorry about the glare.

ANM-57.jpg

So lets say I have a Bomb,GP,250lb AN-M57A1 "and I want to paint it up as TNT" with transit hoops,,,,,it would be S1DTA instead of S1DDA?

From the limited set of codes I have, that would be the logical guess.
However, without access to the official lists I can't guarantee it would be correct though. ;)

I've included a markings reference image for a 1945 Tritonal-filled version from one of the TMs.
As can be seen, it doesnt completely match the earlier markings layout specifications:

ANM57A1Tri.jpg

All the best,
PB

Last edited: