What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

another collection bites the dust

I was having my morning cup of "joe" this morning and watching the chanel 2 news. An elderly gentleman passed away and appearantly had an ordnance collection that no coherent family members knew anything about. Well the bomb squad showed up and carted this collection off. They showed pics of his ordnance. In there were some "choice" U.S. MKII grenades, American civil war canon balls and just about everything in between, a really fine collection. I guess if there is a point here it would be to plan for the unthinkable. Make sure a family member or two know what to do with your stuff in case of death and by all means let them know it is safe and inert. It made me sickened to see them haul off that fine collection. It could have been saved and sold off safely and probably put some serious cash in his familys pockets. Instead this one bit the dust....Dano

when you go

cant agree more on this, you might love your old ammo, the family may well not but they probably would like what its worth so think about what will happen when the great collector collects you. 2pr

totally agree - just been to see a really nice 75yr old guy today who has a fantastic collection of shotgun cartridges ( over 1000 paper wrapped examples) - he has no family interested in them when he passes away and said to me that I ( the police firearms/explosives officer) will no doubt have to get rid of them. The answer is yes, sadly I will have to! I would encourage anyone in UK who has a collection to make some provision for its existence when you pass away. In the Police we have no option but to dispose of articles that are surrendered to us by members of the public.

My wife knows what to do if I pass. She is to get the entire collection to the kids so they can sell them off on gunbroker, and should me and the wife go together the kids know to get over here and get the collection. Half assed as it may be it at least is a plan....Dano

I have my collection written in my will, but doesn't mean it's safe. My kids have strict instructions to hump all the heavy boxes from loft to loft when I go.

Certainly passing away in the US is an option. Fact is, with the new health care plan it is government supported. The more people who kick off, the less the government has to spend on social security and healtch care.
I sympathize with you Dano. Years ago a friend of mine passed away and his wife never contacted me. He had a collecion of ordnance that was unbelieveable that he had brought back from Japan following WWII and had added to ever since. I found out about his death months later and in the mean time his wife called the nearest Army EOD unit. It took two 2 1/2 ton trucks to haul everything out of his house and it was all taken directly to the range for disposal. At least I was told that. How much ended up in the EOD unit "museum" or in the hands of some of the EOD people I have no idea. Hopefully some of it survived. Even had a complete Japanese WWII torpedo!
Bob

!!!!!!!!!!!!...."tears"

Japanese Torpedo?.........destroyed?........"Tears"....weeping..............:tinysmile_cry_t4:

Still looking for a spherical Japanese sea mine.....

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com