What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Hispano Question

RogerKP

red.jpg

Can anyone tell me why there is red around the primer and annulus of this Hispano 20mm HEI round?

Thanks

Roger

Roger, can I check - is it definitely red? It does look red, but I wonder if the colour has faded? Standard 20mm British cases should have a purple annulus.

Isn't H a American code ([FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp]Winchester Repeating Arms Co New Haven CT[/FONT][FONT=&amp] )[/FONT] if so it would be red for HEI
Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
tomsk
You are saying that Labbett & Mead series 2 pamp.6 is wrong? and they could be ? They also ID it as Halls Telephone Ltd. Which company made H cases ?

Not at all ive been wrong before and no doubt will be wrong again i will try to dig my headstamp records out to verify

There was no ROF Heaton, but there was an ROF Hooton. Hooton was an engineering ROF that manufactured 3.7" AA guns. Its parent factory was ROF Patricroft.

The only ROFs to manufacture 20mm cases/projectiles were Radway Green and Steeton.

TimG

Last edited:
What does the crimping look like?, US Hispano tended to be different to the UK version.

Hispano a. .jpegHispano b..jpgA bit of extra information. I have H headstamps from 1942 and 1943. Both still factory crimped. Note the 1943 variation has a full crimp and M/M and date facing the other way.
This is my only UK headstamp with the slash. Both have a purple primer annulus (not red).

Thanks Ron
I am totally baffled by this one! I have trawled my reference books and the Internet and just cannot find one with a red primer - except of course Oerlikon! This is 100% Hispano.
However the projectile appears to be more of a cherry red , and the fuse is plain. Projectile is stamped RG - Radway Green. Headstamp is the same as yours.
It looks like a Hispano painted in Oerlikon colours!! Could this be the case?
I think I'm going to have to give up on it!
Roger