What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another in todays post

When I sold off most of my collection a year or so back, the best part is that I need 'em all. So finding something that I need is not a real tall order. This French WW1 V.B. rifle grenade also came in todays post. Not rare but I need it and love it just the same...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 454.jpg
    Picture 454.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 42
No John, the underneath plug was missing, but wait, I happened to have one in my junque box. I know the VB is one of the more common grenades, but since I had sold off the bulk of my collection some time back, it is like starting over. The best part is that there is generally stuff available that I need. I'll not start over again (as in I shall never sell out again), but things have gotten exciting again. Although sometimes while thinking of the things I once had, I then proceed to get drunk. I feel like i've started over anew and things are exciting. Oh man do I wish I could get the prices I got stuff for on ebay in the late ninetys and early 00's. I got an m1917 German rifle grenade for 20.00 on ebay back then and 20.00 1917 eggs were not all that uncommon. You think those days will last forever but times change, oh boy do they change! I'm having a lot of fun with it and to me that is where it is at. This was not unlike the ramblings of a madman! Cheers...Dano

Realy nice Dano

Realy nice Dano

Great collection my friend !
I am still trying to get on german M1917 Rifel grenade but it seems there are becoming much rarer as some years ago !!
This french is in realy good conditions and a raly nice display item !!

wbr David

Realy nice Dano

Great collection my friend !
I am still trying to get on german M1917 Rifel grenade but it seems there are becoming much rarer as some years ago !!
This french is in realy good conditions and a raly nice display item !!

wbr David
David, check your PM in regard to m1917 German rifle grenade...Dano

Hi Dano. VB's make great cutaways too. Here's one of mine with an 8mm Lebel in place.

John

Attachments

• SSCN4005.JPG
    SSCN4005.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 41
Yes Steve, I would guess that is another possibility, but the practice bodies were painted blue as a rule, And the dummies, well they were a whole other ballgame. The only flaw I see is a little extra casting flash on the base which could have been easily corrected....Dano

I meant as just a throwing practice grenade. I do not think the actual practice grenades were not blue in WWI. I know they were blue in WW2, and I think red in the late 20's- 1930's.

Maybe they could have rejected bodies because of flaws from metallurgy testing of batches??...... Probably not, they needed as many grenades as we could produce. Maybe all these unthreaded bodies really are from lunch boxes.

I know you like to make and play around with things in the workshop, so thought I would show you. Here is a relic body that was threaded on both ends, and missing the plug at bottom. So I made a plug for it from lead. I like to play around in workshop sometimes too. Looks pretty good eh? It's fun too.

Steve

Attachments

• LeadMkIplug.jpg
    LeadMkIplug.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Steve, After careful thought and a little probing on a few sites, I now tend to agree with you that this is a practice thrower. I got screwed up on my colors and such, but anyhow I think there is little doubt that you were right..Respectfully, Dano

Last saturday I've seen 2 sectioned original instruction VBs, in near mint condition.. Think they were very pricey.

Steve, After careful thought and a little probing on a few sites, I now tend to agree with you that this is a practice thrower. I got screwed up on my colors and such, but anyhow I think there is little doubt that you were right..Respectfully, Dano

Hi Dano, that is what I have heard about these unthreaded bodies. Maybe there is a manual that shows or mentions them. They could be "lunchbox specials" as you said.

He is my red trainer. I think it is from the late 20's early 30's. Also here is pic of a red trainer that was re-painted for WW2, a very odd grenade. So they must have had red trainers in stocks in 1941. I am not sure of the exact date when they switched to blue, probably early late 41, early 42.

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• Red1.jpg
    Red1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Red3.jpg
    Red3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 7
  • P6050038.jpg
    P6050038.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 8
Here is my only unthreaded body. It is a strange looking one at that. Look at the top row of segments, every other one is sloped at an angle......see?

I have never seen another pineapple with this shape, have you?

Steve

Attachments

• P2140004.jpg
    P2140004.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7
  • P2140006.jpg
    P2140006.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P2140001.jpg
    P2140001.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 5
  • P2140002.jpg
    P2140002.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 5
  • P2140003.jpg
    P2140003.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 6
Nice grenade Steve, No i've never seen the like. Also I think I got screwed up on the MK1 because the throwing dummy

(the one with 5 rows of segments and the faux MK1 handle was blue) although I thought I had seen an original 4 row segment MK1 with original blue paint but may not remember so good.Dano

Last edited: