What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another interesting one?

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Here is another interesting fuze. Any ideas

Dia: 61MM
Length: 111MM
Exposed Length: 91MM

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-53-1.jpg
    ICE-JV-53-1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 40
  • ICE-JV-53-4.jpg
    ICE-JV-53-4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 35
  • ICE-JV-53-7.jpg
    ICE-JV-53-7.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 35
I agree with your guess on the first one, almost certainly Italian - the knurled edges give it away. No time to dig right now, but shouldn't be too difficult to find. The second looks a little like experimental US. We had a PTTF AA fuze with a similar nose, and it seems like they had some similar pieces in Picatinny back when the Museum was still running.

Funny

This is out of the OLD Picatinny museum. The inventory sheet doesn't say what it is or if it is experimental.

Funny thats where you saw it. They moved that stuff to Aberdeen and we have been going through it there.

Joe

That is a very interesting fuze to me in that the tip is very similar to that of the Russian "Chinese Hat"....Dano

Actually many of the "Chinese Hat" Russian fuzes were made in the US, on contract for the Russians, along with the 76.2mm projectiles. I've got one of the fuzes with all US markings.

JV, I was doing research at Picatinny Museum on submunitions (for one of the longest taking handbooks ever written) and the curator was kind enough to give me full access to everything on two different trips. There just wasn't enough time to document everything.

I was able to find the orignal image, here is a quick scan of the fuze as it sat on the shelf, sorry, its all I've got.

Attachments

• fuze.jpg
    fuze.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 36
some more details

I also made extensively some research years ago about this fuze. The base plate is identical to the US M1907(M) T&P , the 30sec T&P and the 45sec T&P fuzes, all US made before/during WW I. Above the thread the fuze is taper formed, identically to the M1907(M) fuzes, so that means it will fit the exact same shells as the m1907. Internally there is a set back primer arrangement which will activate the powder train delay after firing. It is thinkable that this fuzes were made for export but if- the shells have to have a tapered thread end otherwise the fuze will not fit. Certainly the 21/22sec (22g and mods.) T&P fuzes were made for export to Russia, also the 3G.T and the 4G.T. But all of them were originally of Russian design and construction. The fuze here on the blog however seems a pure US construction!
Mrfuze, USA