What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another New German 250KG Import

Rockteer

Hi, A week ago my postman delivered my second German 250kg slightly different from the first (identified on another post as a Luftwaffe Mustard KC 250 II Gb). This latest one is from the same source in Germany and is clearly stamped "KC250" my question is, is this a flambomb, smoker or another Chemical bomb? according to my manual it would appear to be a Flam bomb (see scanned page). Over to the panel.

Attachments

• DSCF0177.jpg
    DSCF0177.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0173.jpg
    DSCF0173.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF0174.jpg
    DSCF0174.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0175.jpg
    DSCF0175.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF0176.jpg
    DSCF0176.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 79
Hi Rockteer,

Another great addition you have there. As for a positive ID I'm afraid I cant help much, however I would think as it is stamped KC then it is almost certainly a chemical ; KC 250

look forward to seeing what others have to say....

regards Kev

Further to Buterflies post, there are a few differences from this bomb compared to the Phosgene KC 250 W, ID'd previously on this forum, there is no filler cap forward of the fuze housing, there is an anti breakup tube which the Phosgene KC 250 W does not have, the end filler plug is squared off not rounded like the Phosgene KC 250 W. So there are some clear differences but what does all this mean?? Any help or thoughts much appreciated.

Sir,
Seeing the tail entry hole in the first image brings a two questions to mind.
(1) on a GPHE bomb how is the tail fin removed?
(2) How is the cap fastened to the HE filling hole?
Pardon me for interrupting with two unrelated questions to yours.
Best Regards,
John

I'm beginning to think that they could all be used for the same purpose. As posted in the previous thread on this subject, as I understand it, the KC 250 was a chemical bomb but ARP records showed that it was also filled with oil and dropped on the UK in mid 1940 as an oil bomb. The central tube charge, which in the chemical version was meant to explode and disperse the chemicals, was meant to ignite the oil mixture in the oil bomb version but fortunately for us Brits, it rarely detonated correctly. The Germans then came out with the improved Flamm 250 and 500 but again, fortunately, they had difficulties in ignition so were very rarely used in raids. It is stated that they were later just dropped to top up fires that had already been stated by incendiaries.

I am bumping this post one last time to see if anyone can answer my two questions.
Best Regards,
John

Hello everybody,
I hope this shall answer on your questions, John !

Sorry if it's all in french language.
great thank to Mr Henry BELOT for his wonderful documentation !

Yoda

Attachments

• KC 250 FLAM-01.JPG
    KC 250 FLAM-01.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 52
  • KC 250 FLAM-02.JPG
    KC 250 FLAM-02.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 65
  • KC 250 FLAM-03.JPG
    KC 250 FLAM-03.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 58
  • KC 250 FLAM-04.JPG
    KC 250 FLAM-04.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 56
Further to Buterflies post, there are a few differences from this bomb compared to the Phosgene KC 250 W, ID'd previously on this forum, there is no filler cap forward of the fuze housing, there is an anti breakup tube which the Phosgene KC 250 W does not have, the end filler plug is squared off not rounded like the Phosgene KC 250 W. So there are some clear differences but what does all this mean?? Any help or thoughts much appreciated.

Going back to this one after Yoda's post, it now seems clear the one you have a picture of in this post is a KC 250 Flam. Thanks to Yoda for the great photos!! (do you have any of the other type of KC bomb for comparison??)

The dome on the other unit you have would then to me indicate also a KC 250 but in this case filled with gas. The rounded dome being a sealed unit and obviously designed to be under pressure of some kind. (I will add a link to the thread so everyone can get easy access to see what we are talking about)

kind regards Kev

link to previous related thread.......

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/80561-German-250-KG-but-what-type

Last edited:
Sir,
Seeing the tail entry hole in the first image brings a two questions to mind.
(1) on a GPHE bomb how is the tail fin removed?
(2) How is the cap fastened to the HE filling hole?
Pardon me for interrupting with two unrelated questions to yours.
Best Regards,
John

Hi John,

The tail fins on the German bombs were Generally fixed to the bombs with eight screws or more, however unlike British and American bombs they came as one piece, bomb with tail already attatched. The Germans used a side pocket fuze so no access was needed to the tail for fuzing. Sometimes the tails are welded into place rather than screwed.

There are various designs of filling cap, but generally these are screwed to the rear of the bomb beneath the tail.

Hope this helps

regards Kev

Thank you Kev;
The reason I asked about the explosive filling hole cover is that John "Jack" Howard, the 20th Earl of Suffolk was said to be attempting to remove the cap when his #17 started running again. So was wondering how uch effort was required to remove the cap from the bomb casing. There were no fins still attached.
Does anyone know a publisher that would be willing to publish Kerin Freeman's book "Jack Howard's War", a complete biography of the 'Holy Trinity' and their eventual deaths?
Best Regards,
John

Hello everybody,
I hope this shall answer on your questions, John !

Sorry if it's all in french language.
great thank to Mr Henry BELOT for his wonderful documentation !

Yoda

The clue's in your name, well done on comfirming this one for me Yodamaster, I am pleasently suprised and glad I finally have an example of a flambomb in my collection. Thanks to everyone on their comments, I have a few more things to post up in the near future. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Going back to this one after Yoda's post, it now seems clear the one you have a picture of in this post is a KC 250 Flam. Thanks to Yoda for the great photos!! (do you have any of the other type of KC bomb for comparison??)

The dome on the other unit you have would then to me indicate also a KC 250 but in this case filled with gas. The rounded dome being a sealed unit and obviously designed to be under pressure of some kind. (I will add a link to the thread so everyone can get easy access to see what we are talking about)

kind regards Kev

link to previous related thread.......

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/80561-German-250-KG-but-what-type

Other pics of KC's bombs ? I don't know, I must look far away in my documentation !!! Wait, wait, wait,...

Yoda