What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another nice Mills

gothica7

Premium Member
Here is another one from the collection,had it a while, probably one of the hardest to find apart from the very latest 36s.

Its a no 23 Mk 111, in pretty good condition. Body made by Thomas Adshead & Sons Ltd and dated 1917. Base plug made by J M Doughty & Sons Ltd, dated 4/18.

A very rare gren, soon superseded by the no 36 which was also in service at the same time. Very much like the No 36 in appearance apart from the 23 base plug. I keep most of my 23s on 36 gas checks, dont fall over so easy. Dont believe they were used for real with them though, at least thats what the literature says.

It took me quite a while to get a 23/111, on the top of my shopping list for quite a while. Now have 2 and i reccon the base plug is one of the rarer Mills items to find so keep looking.

Andy

Attachments

• Picture551.jpg
    Picture551.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture553.jpg
    Picture553.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture555.jpg
    Picture555.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 48
nice gren mate,very clean.
your teasing me! you swine!:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

a fine NO23 MKIII

Another fine Mills for your collection Andy. She's a beauty No23 MkIII. Fine addition to your awesome collection. Respectfully...Dano

Fantastic gren mate. I'm envious. My 23 MkIII isn't as clean as that one. Gas check look new (gulp). I think that's a pretty rare plug too.

My 23 MkIII was made by Munitions and Light Castings, dated 11/17. Body and base plug match. If yours is condition - 100% - mine's about 85%.

John

Thanks for the comments guys,

not quite 100% as some bugger has had a go at trying to remove the brass filler, wish people would leave them be and it dosnt have any of the original paint.

I am going to sort one of my logs over Christmas, cut it in half, drill a few holes and use it to mount the 23s with the rods. Will post pics when done.

Andy