What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another rare find

paul the grenade

Heres a rare old grenade.
Its a Russian 1914 Zaslavski grenade.
The body is a hexagonal tin with a hinged lid, oposite the hinge is a pin that locks the lid in place. It has a simple impact plunger which is locked by a split pin with a very small ring? Inside the body is another hexagonal zinc tin which would have held the charge and det. between this inner tin and the outer are small steel plates which were for added fragmentation effect. The wood handle is a faithfull repro which would have had a fibre drouge of some sort to stabilize the gren in flight. very simple to use. pull out the safety pin, unwind the drouge and throw.
Cheers, Paul.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• zaslavski 1.jpg
    zaslavski 1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 135
  • zaslavski 2.jpg
    zaslavski 2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 137
  • zaslavski 3.jpg
    zaslavski 3.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 120
  • zaslavski 4.jpg
    zaslavski 4.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 127
Amazing !

When I was active in this field in the 70s you never even heard of things like this let alone find them ~:party:

Paul, to somewhat expand on my first post I did not know what to say as I was in total awe! Does this one pre-date WW1? Anything additional you could give would be greatly appreciated (in other words I have never seen it nor did I know of its existance) DDaannoo

Hi Dan.
I only know whats writen in THE GRENADE RECOGNITION MANUAL VOL 3 By Daryl Lynn.
Hopefully some one on the forum will have more info about this nice WALKING STICK!!
Cheers, Paul..

Paul, to somewhat expand on my first post I did not know what to say as I was in total awe! Does this one pre-date WW1? Anything additional you could give would be greatly appreciated (in other words I have never seen it nor did I know of its existance) DDaannoo

Cześć Szymek,
This are my Zaslavski grenades.
First is with copy of stick and second with small part of original stick.

Thanks Francesco!
Yours is little diffrent and I think stick is a copy too.Very nice and intresting type.

Last edited:
Of course,
some showed up here in Germany. A place where captured ammo was dismantled in WW.1 to safe the metal and explosives.
A lot of rare russian grenades there.
We first have thought it was a finnish grenade because of the only drawing we could find.
Has some fibers as a sort of stabilizer .....
Must be tricky to throw -especial in a trench - with removed safety pin :)

Attachments

• z01.jpg
    z01.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 48
  • z02.jpg
    z02.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 41
  • z03.jpg
    z03.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 43
  • z04.jpg
    z04.jpg