What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Strange Grenade

paul the grenade

Hi All.
Ive just finished restoring this strange Japanese Type 43 Sling Grenade.
All i had was the Iron Bottle shaped head. I payed a visit to my mate who has a wood lathe and made the rear piece and scratch block from a piece of beech wood. The tin lid is from an old soldered tin container that i had lying around. The wooden handle is attached to the body by the piece of rolled linen cloth and just tied on. An old gren pin was used for the sling loop and a sutable length of twine for the sling finished it off.
Hope you like my efforts.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Page13Type43b.jpg
    Page13Type43b.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Page13Type43sling.jpg
    Page13Type43sling.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 120
  • type 43 sling grenade.jpg
    type 43 sling grenade.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 118
I don't even want to think about how to use this one. Talk about getting rid of a cherry bomb. No thanks. Nice piece Paul, looks like one scary thing to use though.:eek:

Hi Paul. Great job. Is this one of those ones that our chinese friends on ebay were describing as Japanese Type 98b stick grenades? Cheers Colin

Great job Paul!!!It's a very interesting piece,I have never seen such a grenade.Was that some kind of field improvisation made during ww2 by Japanese army?

Great Job paul. As a matter of interest I have identified at least three Japanese grenades that used that particular piece. The 98b is one, the sling grenade as you have, and it appears that the first War Japanese grenade used the same iron piece. In fact the sling grenade has the appearance of being a modification of the first war grenade. No absolute proof, but if all the diagrams are compared, you can see what I mean. I will try to find all the diagrams and post them.

hi colin.
yes. its the same one.
mine arrived with a stick handle that didnt really fit.
ive been pondering what to do with it for a year or so and finally decided on the sling version..
cheers, paul.

Hi Paul. Great job. Is this one of those ones that our chinese friends on ebay were describing as Japanese Type 98b stick grenades? Cheers Colin

Thank Paul. The sling grenade was a great choice for a restoration project. I wish I’d brought one now:sad:. Cheers Colin

Here is a drawing of the WW1 Japanese grenade that shows remarkable similarity to the sling grenade. Note the iron portion, looks about the same to me.

Attachments

• ww1 grenade-1.jpg
    ww1 grenade-1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 39
and here is a drawing and photo of the type 98b, note the iron portion, very similar if not the exact piece.

Attachments

• type98b ps-1.jpg
    type98b ps-1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 34
  • type98b-1.jpg
    type98b-1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 43
Hi All.
Ive just finished restoring this strange Japanese Type 43 Sling Grenade.
All i had was the Iron Bottle shaped head. I payed a visit to my mate who has a wood lathe and made the rear piece and scratch block from a piece of beech wood. The tin lid is from an old soldered tin container that i had lying around. The wooden handle is attached to the body by the piece of rolled linen cloth and just tied on. An old gren pin was used for the sling loop and a sutable length of twine for the sling finished it off.
Hope you like my efforts.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Cheers, Paul.

Hi Paul, good job on the Type43. Looks great. If it were mine, I would soak it in some very strong tea or coffee, then a little dirt to age it just a bit. Looks great either way.
Here is my Type43, or 98B, as the good fellow in China lists them. I got just the head a month ago, and decided to go with the stick version. I did not know what it looked like, so styled it after my 98A I also got from him. Lots of fun making it. The end caps are from a hardware store, a replacement gas cap, aged a little and painted black. The handle was made only with a "Ka-Bar" Camillus USMC fighting knife, sandpaper and stain, and an oak wood dowel. k. I know now that I see more of them, it appears there was just a wood plug on the end, instead of the screw cap, like a 98A.

Can you post pics of the handle that came with your 98B? Do you still have it? What is the measurement where it inserts into the grenade head?

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• P4180004.jpg
    P4180004.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 21
  • P4180003.jpg
    P4180003.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 31
  • P4170007.jpg
    P4170007.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 22
Hi Steve, great job of the handle. The screw caps appear to be the same as the 98A. Cheers Colin

Attachments

• Jap cap.jpg
    Jap cap.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 19
Hi Steve, great job of the handle. The screw caps appear to be the same as the 98A. Cheers Colin

Hi Colin, thanks. It looks close, but not quite right. Too squared. I think a cap from a Chinese Type 57? 67? it's kind of a copy of these T98's. It might work and look better. Of course I would like to have an original cap, but really do not think I will find one floating around.

Is that a pic of your T98A? It looks in great condition.
Regards, Steve

Thanks Colin!!

Hi Steve, Unfortunately its not mine. It was sold on Ebay back in 2004. My one can be seen at:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/ww2-japanese-type-t23069.html?t=23069

Youll notice mines missing its cap also. Ive tried one of my Chinese ones, but they dont fit.
Cheers
Colin

Hi Colin, Great!! thanks for the link to the thread. It has everything I wanted to know about the T98, and I printed it out to keep with the grenade stuff.

If you come across some type of cap that looks more similar to an orig that fits, please let me know. I like to have a cap on it to keep the ring and string/fuse from falling out. Here are some more pics of mine. Yours is a little nicer and more complete. But we are both lucky to have the ones we do. They are fairly rare. Is the your detonator that I am missing at the end of the delay wood?

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• P4180047.jpg
    P4180047.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 14
  • P4180049.jpg
    P4180049.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 14
  • P4180033.jpg
    P4180033.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 14
  • P4180037.jpg
    P4180037.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 11
  • P4180053.JPG
    P4180053.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 11
Hi Steve, Your Jap stick grenades look pretty good to me. They are as you say very hard to find.

Attached is a close-up of the fuze. Whilst I've put the two bits together, in reality there's still a section in the top of the handle. The cardboard sleeve and washer are starting to delaminate, but all things considered are in not too bad a condition. Cheers Colin

Attachments

• jap fuze.jpg
    jap fuze.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: