What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anti riot grenade-unusual markings

roller63

Premium Member
I have had this anti riot grenade in my collection for years and know it's British, and a practice model of the L1A1 CS grenade, the only bit I don't understand is the S1A1 marking, L being normal and XL being experimental, Anyone know more ? Tony.
MVC_262S.JPG

CS prac.

l had one of these - it was identical in every respect, and a guy who worked at Pinewood studios had six in a old sack so l had one and another guy had one. l let mine off (should have checked wind direction first) and it covered the back of the entire house a crimson colour, boy did l get some stick for that prank. As for the markings, well I'm told they refer to the stock being of a semi-official designation and has not reached its ''L1'' authority. Norman may give you the dope on the markings in more detail. Cheers, Ron.

Last edited:
Practice A-Riot Grenade

l had one of these - it was identical in every respect, and a guy who worked at Pinewood studios had six in a old sack so l had one and another guy had one. l let mine off (should have checked wind direction first) and it covered the back of the entire house a crimson colour, boy did l get some stick for that prank. As for the markings, well I'm told they refer to the stock being of a semi-official designation and has not reached its ''L1'' authority. Norman may give you the dope on the markings in more detail. Cheers, Ron.

OK, I'll do the best I can:
TW 98 is the part number used for the Grenade, Hand, Anti-Riot L1 series (L1A1 through L1A3).
DMB is Davies Metal Box who made the cans (in 1972).
GRENADE, PRACTICE, A/RIOT, S1A1 was believed to have been made by Schermully as a non-irritant practice version of the L1 Anti-Riot but was not adopted for British Service and I can't say that it was even trialled. It could have been a commercial contract for South Africa or the 'S' in 'S1A1' could have just been something to indicate Schermully.

The underlined 1 is the Lot number and 3/75 is the date of filling.

Unusual not to have Schermully, or PWS marking as the fillers.

A/Riot prac. grenade.

OK, I'll do the best I can:
TW 98 is the part number used for the Grenade, Hand, Anti-Riot L1 series (L1A1 through L1A3).
DMB is Davies Metal Box who made the cans (in 1972).
GRENADE, PRACTICE, A/RIOT, S1A1 was believed to have been made by Schermully as a non-irritant practice version of the L1 Anti-Riot but was not adopted for British Service and I can't say that it was even trialled. It could have been a commercial contract for South Africa or the 'S' in 'S1A1' could have just been something to indicate Schermully.

The underlined 1 is the Lot number and 3/75 is the date of filling.

Unusual not to have Schermully, or PWS marking as the fillers.
Thank you Norman, you never let us down - am most grateful for the info. Regards, RonB.