What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any bofors experts out there

tomsk

Premium Member
ive bought this supposedly drill round today and im not sure of its authenticity the dimentions are correct for a L60 round but ive been caught out before with with someones knock ups
can someone have a look at the pictures and let me know if i have been duped once again.

thanks

tomsk

Attachments

• bofors.jpg
    bofors.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 172
  • drill 40.jpg
    drill 40.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 139
  • drill prim.jpg
    drill prim.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 148
Hi Tomsk,
I am not a Bofors expert, but i have seen more than one of these before and belive it to be correct. But i am sure one of our members will be able to say for sure.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Tomsk
I`m afraid I think that it is unlikely that this is a drill round.
It is a kosher 40/L60 case but the projectile is not right.
The second from left is a pukka drill round.
Genuine ones usually have holes, dimples or gnurling on them so they can be identified by feel as drill ones (at night) and obviously by sight in daylight.
Does the proj pul out ofthe case?
I have seen pics of ones with wooden projs but still with drilled cases
Still an interesting item & I may well be wrong

oh shit i may have to kick myself after all
thanks for the input hicky

According to Hogg in British & American Artillery of WW2, the Bofors HE round should weigh 4.79lbs (2.17kg), your drill round should be about the same weight.
I have a WW2 dated steel and hardwood drill round representing the AP loading which weighs 2.091kg.

Bofors Drill

I agree. If a drill round had been made from a fired case and shell, then I would expect the shell to have a driving band and for it to be distinctly marked as suggested by Hicky.

I don't know about Bofors (after all I am an SAA man) but normally the weight of a drill round does not matter. It is the Dummy that should weigh the same as a live round.

Regards
TonyE

Drill

Tomsk how is the projectile attatched to the case? i have a bofors drill that i would guess is ww2 era similiar to yours it has no markings or any other id at all.Although it does seem better made. Also a 60s era L70 steel drill that has no holes or other obvious id except stamped drill in small letters on the base,this was originally shellaced with drill in small letters in white. Could be a locally made drill or it could be a fake,but why bother? L60 drill rounds are not rare.Better pics of the top would help and inside if it comes apart.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I'm certainly not an expert on UK 40mm bofors drill rounds, but typically on the larger caliber drill rounds, the rotating band is omitted to prevent it from engaging the rifling. I wouldn't discount this as a drill round, just because it doesn't have a rotating band.

Sorry Hazord but not yet come across any round that pre-engages the rifling. Surely this would lead to the round not chambering correctly due to how rifling works?
I think I know what you are saying/driving at but I think the main reason for not including driving bands on Drill/training rounds is why bother/cost etc?
With Tony on his point about weight & would love to see a pic of Quatermass` steel & hardwood round?

I agree. If a drill round had been made from a fired case and shell, then I would expect the shell to have a driving band and for it to be distinctly marked as suggested by Hicky.

I don't know about Bofors (after all I am an SAA man) but normally the weight of a drill round does not matter. It is the Dummy that should weigh the same as a live round.

Regards
TonyE

Cartridge, drill, Q.F. 40-mm.

The Mark I drill cartridge consists of a hardwood body with brass base and nose and is shaped to represent the service round.
A steel bolt passes centrally through the body, the ends being screwed into the base and nose, which are prevented from turning by two steel rivets fixed diametrically through the cartridge.
The base is fitted with a central rubber plug to take the blow of the striker.
The cartridge is brought up to weight with lead cast round the central bolt.
The base of the cartridge is marked with the calibre (40-mm. drill, Mark I), Contractor's initials and year of manufacture.
Overall length (max.) 17.6 inches.

Source: Handbook for the O.Q.F. 40-mm., Marks I, I* and III. 1942

The 'projectile' isn't a service projectile, as HAZORD says, driving band are omitted from drill rounds.

I've seen a number of these rounds and never been sure if there 'right', I'd be interested in a positive I.D.

I have a wartime dated Bofors drill round where the driving band has been removed,I was told that this was common practice to prevent the soft copper of the drive band engaging the rifling of the gun during practice.

Cheers,
Andy

Here is a selection of Bofors rounds.

All four 40/60 rounds on the right are drill

Attachments

• Bofors.jpg
    Bofors.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 96
Probably the acid test on this specimen is the confusion it is causing. There should be absolutely NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER that the round you are placing in the breach is inert. This specimen fails on several counts, as Hicky states most drill rounds have plently of non subtle clues e.g. coloured flutes and large holes drilled in the base. In this specimen the projectile appears to be steal, as Quatermass states above the official drill round has a brass 'projectile' this is to cater for the half-wit who rams the round into the chamber obliquely (put politely) the only damage is going to be the round, not the chamber.

The only explanation for this would be an unauthorised round of 'local manufacture'.

Regards

TimG

Last edited:
I have a 105 mm OTO Melara Drill round that has a fuze, driving band and inert charge increments in the case.

It is marked as a drill round, not a rep round.

I have also seen drill missiles that are very close to the live rounds and are used for loading drills.

I've always wondered if this type of round is an armourers made piece, maybe for checking the feed mechanism etc, or perhaps an 'ersatz' drill?

Interestingly none of the rounds In my earlier post are stamped drill.

I'm guessing that the steel used for the base and nose of my bofors drill is an economy measure. (the base is dated 1944)

Q,

If someone couldn't tell the difference between your drill rounds and a live round, I don't think it would make the slightest difference what the markings were on them!

They're very nice

TimG

40mm drill

I have a very similar to picture drill round, proj is steel braized in and has a slight ridge below where the band would be, to be the same diameter as the case o.d., body is a brass case but the last 15mm is of steel, head stamped DRILL 40MM 1944 Q.E.LTD there is a large nut in the base with a centre piece with a rubber middle. 2pr

Clive,yours sounds like a mkIII drill but the projectile should be attached to a through bolt and secured via nut to base,not soldered,with a wood insert in the case,pics would help.Tony.