What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any ideas "possible free bomb or similar

iantcd

A friend helps a local archaeology group & was contacted to take this away from a garden owned by 2 old ladies, it had been there for some time. Originally it was found on common land near to High Wycombe, Bucks.

It was taken to a local museum (not sure the museum was overly pleased) the bomb squad were called.... they examined it then declared it not to be "explosive" the museum asked that it be taken away.

The friend then brought it to me (not sure how i upset him!) & i have been looking to find out what it is.

I have attached photos.

It is about 30 tall,
Steel not cast.
There is a strong ring top & bottom,
The top is marked "top",
The top ring is attached to a metal disc (like a big ring pull) this is soldered in place & looks like it would pull out if pulled hard enough, perhaps activating the contents.
The bottom ring is attached differently welded very securely,
There is a white powder filling about 1/3 of the cylinder this has a loose metal disc above it.
There is a metal tube (visible in photo) that runs from the ring at the top to the powder at the bottom.
there are the remains of a brass/copper wire running from the cap/ring on top into the cylinder.

I have found this web site http://www.bbrclub.org/free_balloon_operations_in_world.htm which describes a "free balloon" & the ring top & bottom make me think it might be associated with something similar. another idea is a buoy for submarine detection.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• stuarts bomb.jpg
    stuarts bomb.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 66
  • stuarts bomb inside top.jpg
    stuarts bomb inside top.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 61
  • stuarts bomb top view.jpg
    stuarts bomb top view.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 75
Late 70s early 80s the US had a series of jet-engine starter cartridges that were similar in size and construction. We only did destruction on them so I never looked too closely, but it may be something to check.

It looks a bit of a naval smoke or flame float for marking a certain spot on the sea. Found this drawing but not quite the same.

Attachments

• fig011.jpg
    fig011.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 38
It looks a bit of a naval smoke or flame float for marking a certain spot on the sea. Found this drawing but not quite the same.

Most of those that I have seen were brass or copper?

If this is a smoke float containing Calcium Phosphide in the central tube, be very careful. Calcium Phosphide releases phosphine on contact with water

Hi jeff, did you had enough beer for Chris or did he behave ?. I have seen of the older types also in zink coated or thick painted steel.