What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any ideas?

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Here is an odd ball looking thing. Looks like Japanese writting.

Anyone have any idea of what it is?

Joe

Attachments

• P6130001.jpg
    P6130001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 60
  • P6130010.jpg
    P6130010.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 40
  • P6130005.jpg
    P6130005.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 42
  • P6130012.jpg
    P6130012.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 36
  • P6130008.jpg
    P6130008.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 33
Two variants of Japanese Type 88 fuze stuck back-to-back. Strange...

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC03391.jpg
    DSC03391.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 39
This is actually a very common trench art creation from WWII. I've probably seen close to half a dozen of them over the years.

Yes

yes very weird. Thats what I was seeing also, BUT my mind couldn't wrap itself as to why?

Thanks for the sanity check.

Joe

I have seen several examples of these souvenirs with fabricated sheet metal fins attached, to resemble a miniature bomb.

Hi jvollenberg,

What you have are two Type 88 fuse variants as have already been stated by other members. May I go a bit futher and identify with a bit more detail because for each one of those two fuses there are two variations within each which externally are the same except for the script. Internally there are minor differences depending on wether it is for use in high velocity guns or low velocity howitzers.

The ones you have here are as follows from left to right in your photo:
  • Japanese Army Type 88 Slight Delay With Gaze Action Fuse for use in Gun Ammunition. The inscription reads left to right - GUN (ADD ON or INCREASED VELOCITY) MOUNTAIN FIELD TYPE 88
  • Japanese Army Type 88 Instantanious Action Fuse for use in Gun Ammunition. The inscription reads from top to bottom - 88 TYPE FIELD MOUNTAIN GUN (ADD ON or INCREASED VELOCITY)
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Here is an odd ball looking thing. Looks like Japanese writting.

Anyone have any idea of what it is?

Joe