What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any ideas ?

corij

found on Felixstowe beach

Attachments

• Photo-0020.jpg
    Photo-0020.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Photo-0021.jpg
    Photo-0021.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo-0023.jpg
    Photo-0023.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 75
Hi Corij,
A driving band is a ring of normally copper but can be of sintered iron or other metals, that is fixed onto the body of a shell to stop the escape of gas around the sides of a projectile upon firing so that it can be used to propel the projectile forward, it also acts to stabilize the projectile in flight by imparting spin on it from the rifiling in the barrel of the weapon.
Best regards Weasel.

The driving band or rotating band is a component of an artillery projectile, a band of soft metal located towards the base of the projectile, typically made of copper (although other materials are used). When the projectile is fired the pressure of the propellant swages the driving band metal into the rifling of the barrel, providing a seal preventing the propellant gases from blowing past the projectile. The rifling imparts spin to the projectile, providing stabilisation and increasing the range and accuracy of the projectile.

Driving bands come in different shapes and sizes as shown below.

MTM 026.jpg

The driving band in photos 1 & 2, by calibre, is most likely from an 18 Pounder, 3 inch or 75 mm shell, however the British method of attachment of the driving band was generally by one, two or more raised wavy lines on the shell to which the band was impressed. For that reason, as an informed guess I would say that your piece of driving band may be from a USA 75 mm shell but I could be wrong. The portion of the fuze in photo 3 is part of a No 119 fuze - the giveaway is the knurling that went all the way around the fuze. No 117 fuzes that I have seen have no such knurling, also the thickness of the 117 fuze body tapers down towards the nose end. The items you show were most likely fired in World War Two.

Last edited:
it looks quite a narrow band, maybe too narrow for a high power gun and also due to the square pattern against the shell probably around WWII. The width and pattern are the clues to its origins.

I'll agree with AMMOTECHXT that the bands come from a US 75mm WWI vintage, either the shrapnel or the HE. The holding fixtures are a dead giveaway for this round. The US 3" had different holding fixtures, but I can't remember right now what they were, but I think it was three serrated lines. Hope this helps. Cheers, Bruce.

Wavy line (raised ribs on shell) method of attachment.

Here are photos of some pieces of driving band that I took recently. Those in the centre row are from 25 Pr HE, those at left may be from 8 Inch HE but I have little idea about those on the right.
CNV00133.JPGCNV00132.JPGCNV00134.JPG