What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any thoughts on this projectile???

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi All,

Any thoughts /comments on this?

The re-painted white markings would have come from what was actually stamped on the projectile body.

(Apologies but no measurements at this stage)

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• 15pdr.jpg
    15pdr.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 106
My thought would be "why does the rotating band look like it is on backwards with the taper in back, instead of in the front?"

As per markings?
15 pounder AP projectile?
Dimensions & weight would help!!!
Haz - That`s actually normal on the drive band for these - don`t ask why?!

This looks like a 12pr AP and Hicky is correct, the driving band is right for 12pr projectiles. Never heard of a 15pr AP proj.

D

With you BD.
I could not recall there being an AP 15 only the HE & cannister ones-but you never know!!
I di though recall the Drive Band anomally!
Would love to know the thinking behind it - only thing I could ever come up with was it might reduce the amount of copper deposit left in the bore/rifling?

I'd go with 12pr and not AP, more solid practice with a flat pointy end like that. Has it got C I on the base? or P? and yes the bands are that way round, the front taper is because its SL and the rear taper is for the copper pushed out of the way by the rifling to have somewhere to go and still provide rotation grip. Very similar to the 25pr shot's band.

I'd go with 12pr and not AP, more solid practice with a flat pointy end like that.

Yes, of course not AP, although the Semi AP projectiles are only slightly longer that the solid practice. In fact I can't remember ever seeing a 12pr proj actually marked AP. Anyone got one?

12pr 75.5mm dia, 25pr 87mm dia and usually pionted. if its 12pr it should have some stampings on the base and probably no tracer hole.

I'd go with 12pr and not AP, more solid practice with a flat pointy end like that. Has it got C I on the base? or P? and yes the bands are that way round, the front taper is because its SL and the rear taper is for the copper pushed out of the way by the rifling to have somewhere to go and still provide rotation grip. Very similar to the 25pr shot's band.

Still awaiting for some measurements, and yes there appears to be "C I" & a "P" as the Collector did provide the following markings:

The 15pdr AP does have some markings on the base, but hard to make out, I've
attached a photo, but the markings on the base are to difficult to read, and I can't
get a photo of them. The marking I can make out are TP QF I 8 P CI 3 97
(or this seems to be what they are). Hope this helps.

Hopefully more soon!
Cheers
Drew

I did wonder about the tip not being a point - but with some heavier projectiles the thinking was that the metal/case hardening was sufficient.
Also wern`t some `AP` projectiles actually intended more for bunker/revetment busting than actual metal plate - as armour is normally thought off?