What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone a plumber?

I've been having a problem with very noisy flushing toiletS.. And wanted to ask someone who has knows what they're looking at when you open up a cistern as unfortunately I know nothing when it comes to plumbing systems and am always very cautious when it comes to fiddling in case I make things worse.

I 'think' I may have actually solved the issue now though so hopefully it's sorted.

Just a question,before I try to give a good answer.

Is the problematic noise from the actual flushing,or a constant "running" sound when the WC is not in use?
If the noise is from the pipes-then try to get some foam type insulation(costly stuff! I have some that I don`t need-but I live in Norway,sooooooo another thing you could probably do is to pack Glava type insulation(the fluffy stuff -not rockwool) around the pipes ,if they are under the floorboards(it`s a bit of a job-I know!)
I wouldn`t mess with adjusting the inside bits of the WC unless you know pretty well what you`re doing-if you are like me - then it may cost you more to try to fix it yourself than to have someone look at it.

If you really want to get to the bottom of this,unless it stopped by itself-then please mail me some specifics about your pipe system-and I`ll be happy to help!:tinysmile_fever_t: my first mail on the forum.

Hi,

The noise was like a vibrating buzz after flushing. Sometimes delayed so it would come on a few minutes after the flush. I've managed to improve it somewhat by removing the black rubber seals in the float valve and giving them a good rinse and refitting. One of the toilets now has no noise whatsoever and the other has improved but for some reason is only quiet if I relax the big nut at the top of the valve a little. This means a tiny drip is present but theres no noise. I'm going to get a couple of new rubber seals and fit them, I have a feeling that will hopefully solve the problem completely. I'll let you know the result :)

Thanks.

Sounds like it is coming from the inlet valve, it is not fully shutting off as it closes, untill the tank fills a bit more and raises the float valve, new rubber washers on the inlet valve should fix it, but you can not take them apart with out shutting off the water supply to the toilet. It is not really a problem, just noisy.
In the 70s when I was in Blighty, I was suprised to see all the buildings that had signs on the out side advertizing that they had toilets, I knew at that thim, central heating was a big thing, but I was sure that toilets were not that new, then I fugured out that it was just the dumb kid from the wild west. I stopped and actuall read the sign once, and realized that there was no "i" in "to let" in our part of the world the sign would have read "for rent"
Best
Gus

Ps a thought just occured to me, is the float partially filled with water, thus reducing its boyancy, you should be able to tell by flushing and while the tank is empty, raise the float and shake it to see if it has water in it, the solution would be to get a replace ment float of the same design (making it easy to change out, usuall they have a threaded socket that screws onto the rod)

Last edited:
Have you tried adjusting the rate of fill from the water suppy to the cistern? I had a very noisy fill some years ago and this was solved by doing this.

Andy

Also make sure there is no after the fact blockage (like a huge turd that just wont pass). This would be the type of turd that before you flush 2 things must happen, first several documenting pictures, then the old lady must be called in for confirmation. Usually when a turd of this magnitude appears a pair of rubber gloves and a large baggie might be in order to fish it out, seal it, and throw it in the trash. But personally I think Gustaf was on the right track...Dano

If its a modern plastic float pull it down and take out the flow restrictor that will be inside it the tank will fill quicker and it can reduce the vibration in the pipes which sounds a bit like like "water hammer"

They can be a bugger of a thing at the best of times!